Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't create new system photo library

Hi all, I'm at a bit of a loss with my photos library.

I had it on an external SSD and somehow it got corrupted.

"No worries" I thought, I'll create a new one, set it as a system library and restore from backup.

But every time I try to do that, the photos app locks up and freezes. I've also tried recreating it on the main OS disk with the exact same result (freeze). any ideas?

M1 mac, Ventura 13.1

Video of the behaviour https://youtu.be/TwBi2Ow2bz4

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 8:11 AM

Instead of asking one at a time, lets check all the steps. Have you

• Restarted the computer (of course, you have!)
  • Check the formatting of the hard drive (done that, too.) Including ownership, ✔️
  • Rebuild your Photos Library--close Photos and re-launch by option-command-clicking the app icon.

That's the problem!

• Make a new user and see if the same problem recurs with it
  • Use another library if you have one, or make a small test Library with a few pictures in it and see if the same thing happens.
  • Start in Safe Mode (this is different for different computers) This bypasses certain potentially disruptive processes.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support 

Have you tried Safe Mode yet? That would be a good next thing.

By the way-- just because Photos was working on a hard drive for a while doesn't mean that it is problem free. We've seen that over and over.

Have you ever had Time Machine on the hard drive. TM will make a volume unusable for Photos, and problems may not show up immediately.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2023 8:11 AM in response to NinjaPT

Instead of asking one at a time, lets check all the steps. Have you

• Restarted the computer (of course, you have!)
  • Check the formatting of the hard drive (done that, too.) Including ownership, ✔️
  • Rebuild your Photos Library--close Photos and re-launch by option-command-clicking the app icon.

That's the problem!

• Make a new user and see if the same problem recurs with it
  • Use another library if you have one, or make a small test Library with a few pictures in it and see if the same thing happens.
  • Start in Safe Mode (this is different for different computers) This bypasses certain potentially disruptive processes.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support 

Have you tried Safe Mode yet? That would be a good next thing.

By the way-- just because Photos was working on a hard drive for a while doesn't mean that it is problem free. We've seen that over and over.

Have you ever had Time Machine on the hard drive. TM will make a volume unusable for Photos, and problems may not show up immediately.

Jan 20, 2023 7:48 AM in response to NinjaPT

It is not possible to make library on an external drive your system Photos Library, if the external volume is not compatible with Photos. Did you prepare the external drive exactly as described here?

See: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

The external drive needs to be formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS, it needs a wired connection, not a network share, and the external volume must not be used for Time Machine or other backup software.

Jan 22, 2023 7:35 AM in response to NinjaPT

Safe Mode bypasses processes that are loaded by 3rd party programs at login, cleans up the hard drive some, and it clears out some old stuff left lying around. It's possible that this on its own will fix the mess, and you can go back to using your computer like usual. But you should be careful about 3rd party software-- especially system type programs like those that profess to protect you from viruses and sweep your hard drive clean.

Check your login items-- Settings>Users>Login Items, to see what's automatically loading. I have none listed-- I got rid of them all and nothing bad happened.

Can't create new system photo library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.