Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to update from Mojave to Ventura

Can i update directly from Mojave OS to Ventura on a 2019 Macbook Air? Or do I need to update sequentially through earlier version of OS?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 8:38 AM

While it can be done, it is a very big jump (4 generations of macOS). I suggest upgrading in two steps, going at least to Catalina first (or maybe Big Sur), and from there upgrade to Ventura.

FWIW, if it were me, I would back up all my data to an external drive, then wipe the system drive, reformat it as APFS and install Ventura from scratch instead of doing any upgrades. Of course, that would also mean reinstalling the applications you are currently using ... but you may have to do that anyway because you probably have apps on your Mojave system that won't run in Ventura.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2023 8:38 AM in response to sheridancarole

While it can be done, it is a very big jump (4 generations of macOS). I suggest upgrading in two steps, going at least to Catalina first (or maybe Big Sur), and from there upgrade to Ventura.

FWIW, if it were me, I would back up all my data to an external drive, then wipe the system drive, reformat it as APFS and install Ventura from scratch instead of doing any upgrades. Of course, that would also mean reinstalling the applications you are currently using ... but you may have to do that anyway because you probably have apps on your Mojave system that won't run in Ventura.

How to update from Mojave to Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.