Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ram vs Unified memory - how do I know how much I will need

I currently have 128 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 memory on my iMac. Which also has 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7 and AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB.

With the new Unified memory, I cannot find any topic that compares the amount of unified memory that will equal 128 gb ram I currently use with Lightroom, Photoshop and Final Cut Pro.

Since we cannot upgrade the unified memory, how do I know what will do as well as the 128 gb ram in Unified Memory? Anything less than the 128 GB ram and Lightroom/photoshop/final cut pro really slow down.

Thanks for any help you can give as I research my options for a new mac mini.

Susan

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 2:15 PM

RAM and Unified memory are essentially the same thing. Unified memory is just RAM built into the CPU chip for Apple silicon Macs. Its "unified" with the CPU.

So 128GB of RAM would equate to 128GB of unified memory.

Only the Mac Studio offers 128GB configurations.

With anything else, go for the highest amount of RAM your budget permits. Apple silicon runs Lightroom and Photoshop much faster and more efficiently than Intel CPUs so performance will be as good or better even with less RAM.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2023 2:15 PM in response to susan_wagener

RAM and Unified memory are essentially the same thing. Unified memory is just RAM built into the CPU chip for Apple silicon Macs. Its "unified" with the CPU.

So 128GB of RAM would equate to 128GB of unified memory.

Only the Mac Studio offers 128GB configurations.

With anything else, go for the highest amount of RAM your budget permits. Apple silicon runs Lightroom and Photoshop much faster and more efficiently than Intel CPUs so performance will be as good or better even with less RAM.

Ram vs Unified memory - how do I know how much I will need

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.