Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make large videos files without syncing to icloud

Hi,

Bought an iphone 14 pro - especially to use it as a backup video camera.

I want a very simple task that seems to be super complicated.

• I want to make videos, which generate big files - and then download them to my macbook.

But of course I also want to

• Not sync the big file with icloud
  • But sync all normal fotos and small little videos as usual with icloud in the photos app.

How to achieve this simple task?

Can I make a video so that it will not show up in photos app, just in the file system?

Or can I manually say in the photos app not sync this video to icloud please?

Or is there a setting in the photos app to not sync files bigger than a certain file size?

Thx for that...

And by the way, what is the best way to move big video files from iphone to the macbook FILE System (not to the photos APP). It seems it is only possible with Airdrop?!? With cable it seems you have to use the photos app and then export from there which is super slow...

Thx very much for your help.

Michael

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 3:04 PM

Syncing photos/video to iCloud using the photo app is all or nothing; you cannot selectively choose only some items. However you can sync through iCloud to your Mac and then drag those files out of photos to edit, etc.

You can also move the images from the photos app to the files app. They will copy to files and from there sync through iCloud if you have files enabled.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2023 3:04 PM in response to WritingMike

Syncing photos/video to iCloud using the photo app is all or nothing; you cannot selectively choose only some items. However you can sync through iCloud to your Mac and then drag those files out of photos to edit, etc.

You can also move the images from the photos app to the files app. They will copy to files and from there sync through iCloud if you have files enabled.

Jan 21, 2023 1:24 AM in response to muguy

Yeah I tried your workflow already, needs much too much time…

Its annoying that apple produces this phone with this camera capabilities, I bought it because of this, and not think through how to handle the large video files…

The 2.0 usb port and the missing workflow in the software is the result of that…

Anyway I found my workaround.

In icloud photos setting I change to “Download and keep Originals”.

Then i stop syncing before I shoot large videos. Copy them to Mac Filesystem with Airdrop or Image capture app. Then delete the files from my photos app on phone. Delete it also from recently deleted folder and the start syncing photo app again…

Maybe Apple will find a solution for a setting option for not syncing big video files that would be great, necessary I would call it.

Kind regards,

Michael

How to make large videos files without syncing to icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.