Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't rename HEIC-formatted photos

I can’t rename HEIC photos, one-by-one or in multiple. When renaming one photo, the file name in Finder highlights the extension. When renaming in multiple, the “rename” option is greyed out. Permissions are read & write for me. The OSX is fully updated. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 9:51 AM

Ali Soltani wrote:

I can’t rename HEIC photos, one-by-one or in multiple. When renaming one photo, the file name in Finder highlights the extension. When renaming in multiple, the “rename” option is greyed out. Permissions are read & write for me. The OSX is fully updated. Any ideas?

Hmmm....

Download a test file—https://filesamples.com/formats/heic

I download to my Desktop <sample1.heic>. I went to Finder and renamed it with no issue.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2023 9:51 AM in response to Ali Soltani

Ali Soltani wrote:

Hmmm....

Download a test file—https://filesamples.com/formats/heic

I download to my Desktop <sample1.heic>. I went to Finder and renamed it with no issue.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Can't rename HEIC-formatted photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.