Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Export at full quality when dragging and dropping from Photos

Is is possible to export photos at full resolution/quality when dragging from Photos into other apps (eg Photoshop)? When I drag and drop, a notification comes up saying "Photo Exported with Lower Image Quality - export to disk to maintain full image quality".

It's much faster to drag and drop rather than export/import via menus and I wondered if there was a shortcut.

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 10:38 AM

Richard you're correct I misspoke. Command Drag on Ventura does nothing. Shift-drag gets a version and option-drag gets the original.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 22, 2023 10:35 AM in response to ChipHotfist

Like Yer_Man said just use Photoshop from within Photos to edit images. Control (right) - click on the image and select the app you want to use under the Edit With menu:

Warning: you can't change the extension of the edited version from that of the original, i.e. if you add text which will change it to a .psd file you must flatten the image so it will be the same as the original file. Otherwise it will be saved and Photos will not know the image has been edited.

Jan 22, 2023 8:54 AM in response to Yer_Man

Yer_Man wrote:
If you hold the command key when dragging and dropping you'll get a copy of the original.

For me (in Monterey) command-drag copies an edited version with a crazy Photos file name, and reduced metadata. Shift-drag copies full resolution edited version with the original file name and with added added metadata. But this seems really inconsistent--I was getting preview-like copies with command-drag, and then it changed. Dragging, I think, is sometimes useful, but unreliable.

Like you, I wouldn't use this for editing a picture that I was keeping in the Photos Library. I drag and drop for pictures in for one-way edits-- like I'm fixing up a picture for messaging, then delete.

Export at full quality when dragging and dropping from Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.