Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel panic

I started to experience kernel panic since I upgraded my MacBook pro mid 2012 High Sierra to Catalina. I have done a lot of solutions to fix it like diagnosis, reinstalling Mac Os, deleting apps and such. But none of them worked.

This is what happens. I turn on my MacBook and start using it, everything was fine at that point. So, when I'm done with my work, I put it into sleep and leave it for a while. When I open it back, it shows this login screen and I type my pin then hit enter. After that, it takes ages and restarts. I don't know what is causing my laptop to restart. If you have solutions, please tell me.

Note: if you need more informations, feel free to tell me.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 8:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 8:27 AM

MarkNestor wrote:

I started to experience kernel panic since I upgraded my MacBook pro mid 2012 High Sierra to Catalina. I have done a lot of solutions to fix it like diagnosis, reinstalling Mac Os, deleting apps and such. But none of them worked.

This is what happens. I turn on my MacBook and start using it, everything was fine at that point. So, when I'm done with my work, I put it into sleep and leave it for a while. When I open it back, it shows this login screen and I type my pin then hit enter. After that, it takes ages and restarts. I don't know what is causing my laptop to restart. If you have solutions, please tell me.

try SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support to sort anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc., third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

if no improvement—

Try resetting the SMC Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support see the details.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2023 8:27 AM in response to MarkNestor

MarkNestor wrote:

try SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support to sort anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc., third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

if no improvement—

Try resetting the SMC Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support see the details.

Kernel panic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.