Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to lock my kid Iphone but authorise him to visit a specific website and use phone and whatsapp only

Hello,

I just upgrade my autistic kid Android to an XR Iphone and I'm struggling with the parental, family settings.

I need to be able to lock his device remotely authorizing only:

• Phone calls (in and out)
  • Whatsapp (in and out)
  • A specific website he can visit

---

I'm wasting a LOT of time trying to understand the wording Apple decided to give to name common parent language for things...😡

Using Family Link from Google was a 100 times more easier !!!

Lock/Unlock is one button, if you need to add time, you can do it by setting directly how much time (bonus time) without modifying existing settings, location is on the same area and immediately available, etc.

iPhone XR

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 12:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 6:05 AM

Hello,

I don't know what documents you have been reading so here's the ones I know about that may help you with this:

Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

3 replies

Jan 22, 2023 7:04 AM in response to Limnos

Thank you Limnos for trying to help me.

I understand that's the documentation and I will give it another try and translate everything to my wife.

Still, In my opinion all this is way too technical and is totally miss-adapted to the user targeted, a parent(s).

While this complexity offers (I hope) great flexibility, sometimes users needs simple things with terms they understand.

For exemple, "Do you want to turn off Downtime".

It takes a second or a third reading to fully understand what means which is very confusing as you (parent) want to turn on or off access to the device.

"(un)Lock the device" is way much simple and doesn't refer to a double negation !

More than that, for some reason on Iphone it doesn't work immediately and I had to ask my kid to restart his Iphone to have it set. (don't have this is issue with family link)

And it goes for almost all options and functionalities.

Everything is way too much complicate and where is the device location ?

I understand I need to open Find my Iphone.

Why do I need to open another app (validate the access and answer more questions) ?

I'm a long time Apple aficionado (I still have a Mac Lisa XL) but this... 🤯

How to lock my kid Iphone but authorise him to visit a specific website and use phone and whatsapp only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.