Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keep Gmail Contacts? Make it default contacts?

I'm new to iPhone. Used Gmail and Gmail Contacts exclusively on an Android device. Should I continue to use Gmail Contacts? or start over with iCloud Contacts?

And if I should move to iCloud Contacts, should I disable/delete Gmail Contacts?

iPad

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 1:02 PM

You ask a good question!

In my opinion, the answer depends on what other computing devices you plan to use, if any.

If, for example, you have a Windows PC and plan to keep using Windows, then gmail contacts is likely the way to go, as it will be easy to share them with your PC.

If, on the other hand, other Apple devices such as iPad or Mac are in your future, then iCloud is the way to go. Sharing these contacts with your other Apple devices is both trivial, and changes made on one device are instantly reflected on all your Apple devices.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2023 1:02 PM in response to cbr79

You ask a good question!

In my opinion, the answer depends on what other computing devices you plan to use, if any.

If, for example, you have a Windows PC and plan to keep using Windows, then gmail contacts is likely the way to go, as it will be easy to share them with your PC.

If, on the other hand, other Apple devices such as iPad or Mac are in your future, then iCloud is the way to go. Sharing these contacts with your other Apple devices is both trivial, and changes made on one device are instantly reflected on all your Apple devices.

Jan 22, 2023 3:17 PM in response to cbr79

cbr79 wrote:

Do you think I should delete my Gmail contacts and disable GC on my iPhone?

Yes, absolutely! You certainly should have your Contacts housed in exactly one place. Perhaps you will choose to continue to use gmail for email, which is fine. But data items like Contacts, Calendars, Notes should be in one place.

Since you’re new to iPhone, here’s where to find the iPhone User Guide:

iPhone User Guide - Apple Support

Enjoy your Apple gear!

Jan 24, 2023 2:04 PM in response to cbr79

cbr79 ~ third party contacts

🛑 Don't be in a hurry to remove your gmail contacts , it's likely that you will

need them to merge , export or if you are using both accounts .

I noticed underneath your post that you have an iPad ? You may need that

too , some tasks can't be done on an iPhone .

CONTACTS / ICLOUD.COM 

If you want to access your contacts on iCloud.com, use a tablet or computer. You can’t use Contacts on iCloud.com on a phone.

You can also access contacts stored in iCloud on any device that has Contacts turned on in iCloud settings.

⭐️ Manage and delete contacts on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support ⭐️

CardDAV 

vCard Extensions to WebDAV is an address book client/server protocol designed to allow users to access and share contact data on a server. The CardDAV protocol was developed by the IETF and was published as RFC 6352 in August 2011. CardDAV is based on WebDAV, which is based on HTTP, and it uses vCard for contact data.Wikipedia

OSI layer:

Application

Port(s):

80, 443

RFC(s):

RFC 6352

Keep Gmail Contacts? Make it default contacts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.