Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Epson perfection scanner on macOS Ventura: failed to open a connection to the device -21345

I have an Epson Perfection 4180 Photo scanner (a dinosaur) connected via USB cable to a mac mini. After the upgrade to MacOS Ventura, the ImageCapture application no longer connects to the scanner. Now image capture app reports "Failed to open a connection to the device -21345". I checked the System Information app in the USB section, where the computer still reports the scanner model number. So I think the scanner brain is still alive, the USB cable does not seem to be broken, etc. Any suggestions for making the scanner work again? Thanks in advance.

Mac mini, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 5:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 6:05 AM

Well shortly after posing the question I got the semi-brilliant idea to check for a new driver. God bless Epson, they still publish updated drivers for 15-year-old hardware (unlike so many other manufacturers grr). I stumbled across this link for the "ICA Scanner Driver v5.8.12 for Image Capture" dated October 2022:

https://epson.com/Support/Scanners/Perfection-Series/Epson-Perfection-4180-Photo/s/SPT_B11B170011

I downloaded and installed, but still no joy in Image Capture. Hmm.

Then I opened the mac's System Settings app, went into the Printers & Scanners section, clicked the button "Add Printer, Scanner or Fax" (fax!) and magically the Epson scanner appeared in the list. Selected it, clicked add and hey presto. Image capture works again!

Hope this helps someone out there. And I'll try to remember to buy Epson again in the future.

One final question: where can I see in the mac system software all the installed drivers, like the ones for this ancient scanner?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2023 6:05 AM in response to chrislottapple

Well shortly after posing the question I got the semi-brilliant idea to check for a new driver. God bless Epson, they still publish updated drivers for 15-year-old hardware (unlike so many other manufacturers grr). I stumbled across this link for the "ICA Scanner Driver v5.8.12 for Image Capture" dated October 2022:

https://epson.com/Support/Scanners/Perfection-Series/Epson-Perfection-4180-Photo/s/SPT_B11B170011

I downloaded and installed, but still no joy in Image Capture. Hmm.

Then I opened the mac's System Settings app, went into the Printers & Scanners section, clicked the button "Add Printer, Scanner or Fax" (fax!) and magically the Epson scanner appeared in the list. Selected it, clicked add and hey presto. Image capture works again!

Hope this helps someone out there. And I'll try to remember to buy Epson again in the future.

One final question: where can I see in the mac system software all the installed drivers, like the ones for this ancient scanner?

Epson perfection scanner on macOS Ventura: failed to open a connection to the device -21345

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.