You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data Migration hanging during Migration

I have an Intel mac (2017) that (long story short) that I have done a clean install to Ventura. Now, I'm trying to use Migration to transfer files from Time Machine on an external Passport drive.

I chose not to migrate applications.

Everything goes smoothly until it gets to Updating Your System Settings. Then it gets stuck. I let it sit like that for 36 hours, and it never completed migration. I've tried several times, and the same thing happens. Help!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 7:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 8:09 AM

Paragraphpam wrote:

I have an Intel mac (2017) that (long story short) that I have done a clean install to Ventura. Now, I'm trying to use Migration to transfer files from Time Machine on an external Passport drive.

Everything goes smoothly until it gets to Updating Your System Settings. Then it gets stuck. I let it sit like that for 36 hours, and it never completed migration. I've tried several times, and the same thing happens. Help!

Try a different backup source and compare your results.

make some change — like include the Applications and try again...

if the backup is corrupt some how it may never resolve.

If you value your user data it is this reason I highly recommend the

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

More than one device, more than one backup methodology.

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Move content to a new Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 23, 2023 8:09 AM in response to Paragraphpam

Paragraphpam wrote:

Try a different backup source and compare your results.

make some change — like include the Applications and try again...

if the backup is corrupt some how it may never resolve.

If you value your user data it is this reason I highly recommend the

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

More than one device, more than one backup methodology.

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Move content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Data Migration hanging during Migration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.