Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replaced keyboard MacBook Pro 2011 twice and still not working properly

Hi!,

I had an issue with my keyboard, some of the keys ( F, R, V, Control etc) were not working. Some of them worked but not correctly. For example, when I typed R, then it showed something like QWERRTT. I could not restart the NVPRAM or SMC because it required Command+R or Control+Opt+Command and the Control bottom did not work.

A month ago I replaced the keyboard with a new one and now different keys are not working ( different from the ones before) now keys ( T,G,B, enter ) were not working while the rest work. What could be the issue? I thought that it was a hardware issue that's why I replaced the keyboard.

I also tried an external keyboard and it works perfectly.

Today I bought a new one, installed it and now none of the keys work and now the power buttom does not work properly either. Everything else works perfectly.

What can I do?

The model of my MacBook pro is 13' from 2011.

Thanks

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 3:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 8:56 AM

Your first keyboard had a ROW problem. (Compare to a keyboard diagram.) All the faulting keys were in the same neighborhood on the same row.

the second keyboard had a [slightly diagonal] 'Column' problem. The faulting keys are all in the same column.

Keyboard presses in these keyboards are detected by changes in resistance at the intersections of rows and columns caused by pressing a key at a particular geographic location on the keyboard.

There are no keyboard 'switches' any longer. The logic inside these keyboard is extremely simple and essentially un-repairable.

--------

you don't appear to be getting "guaranteed GOOD" parts. it may take far more tries to get your Mac working this way.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2023 8:56 AM in response to krlos90

Your first keyboard had a ROW problem. (Compare to a keyboard diagram.) All the faulting keys were in the same neighborhood on the same row.

the second keyboard had a [slightly diagonal] 'Column' problem. The faulting keys are all in the same column.

Keyboard presses in these keyboards are detected by changes in resistance at the intersections of rows and columns caused by pressing a key at a particular geographic location on the keyboard.

There are no keyboard 'switches' any longer. The logic inside these keyboard is extremely simple and essentially un-repairable.

--------

you don't appear to be getting "guaranteed GOOD" parts. it may take far more tries to get your Mac working this way.

Jan 23, 2023 3:39 PM in response to krlos90

krlos90 wrote:

Hi!,

I had an issue with my keyboard, some of the keys ( F, R, V, Control etc) were not working. Some of them worked but not correctly. For example, when I typed R, then it showed something like QWERRTT. I could not restart the NVPRAM or SMC because it required Command+R or Control+Opt+Command and the Control bottom did not work.

A month ago I replaced the keyboard with a new one and now different keys are not working ( different from the ones before) now keys ( T,G,B, enter ) were not working while the rest work. What could be the issue? I thought that it was a hardware issue that's why I replaced the keyboard.

I also tried an external keyboard and it works perfectly.

Today I bought a new one, installed it and now none of the keys work and now the power buttom does not work properly either. Everything else works perfectly.

What can I do?

The model of my MacBook pro is 13' from 2011.

Thanks

Did you replace the keyboard/trackpad cable as well... these are certainly known to develop faults.

These are flat Mylar® ribbons with circuit traces—and easily damaged.

Replaced keyboard MacBook Pro 2011 twice and still not working properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.