Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMB broke in 13.2

After upgrading to 13.2 I can no longer share disks/file via SMB between my Macs. They can see windoze shares but no macOS. Way to go apple!

Mac Studio, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 7:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 12:57 PM

more investigating shows that both Macs can mount shared volumes from windoze systems. No system either

Mac or windoze can mount the Mac volumes.

the problem still exists. have been in contact with apple support and have not gotten anywhere.

what I have done so far is:

1. boot both systems in safe boot, problem still existed even when both running in safe mode.
  2. created a brand new boot drive for the iMac (which has the drives attached to it). Created a local only account on the drive, no iCloud no settings from my old accounts. Still the Mac Studio can not mount the drives on the iMac.

I have tried turning off all sharing rebooting and turning it back on, no change.

Apple says, yeah it is a problem, too bad live with it, we have no method of elevating the problem to someone who can look at the logs and see what is going on.

So I have a $5K Mac Studio that is really not all that useful as the drives with my videos are on the iMac. Any ideas of what to investigate next?

Similar questions

67 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2023 12:57 PM in response to Computer Curmudgeon

more investigating shows that both Macs can mount shared volumes from windoze systems. No system either

Mac or windoze can mount the Mac volumes.

the problem still exists. have been in contact with apple support and have not gotten anywhere.

what I have done so far is:

1. boot both systems in safe boot, problem still existed even when both running in safe mode.
  2. created a brand new boot drive for the iMac (which has the drives attached to it). Created a local only account on the drive, no iCloud no settings from my old accounts. Still the Mac Studio can not mount the drives on the iMac.

I have tried turning off all sharing rebooting and turning it back on, no change.

Apple says, yeah it is a problem, too bad live with it, we have no method of elevating the problem to someone who can look at the logs and see what is going on.

So I have a $5K Mac Studio that is really not all that useful as the drives with my videos are on the iMac. Any ideas of what to investigate next?

Jan 26, 2023 7:07 AM in response to Computer Curmudgeon

I am having the same issue. Sharing worked perfectly fine. Upgraded to 13.2, no more sharing working at all. I have tried turning it off, rebooting, and turning it back on, and what you have tried. I also tried removing the shares, and adding back the permissions. Still doesn't work.

I guess there is always a thumb drive by foot to transfer data between computers...

Jan 27, 2023 8:19 AM in response to Computer Curmudgeon

I tried a number of different scenarios, and the one constant seems to be an intel Mac with 13.2 doesn't work. I have a mix of Macs, and those are the issue. I also wiped and installed a fresh 13.2, thinking maybe the update corrupted something, but that also didn't fix the issue.

I called apple this morning, and they say it is a known issue. They wanted to reproduce it, etc. but asked for 50 minutes of my time to do so, and I just don't have that right now. Good news, it is a known issue.

Jan 27, 2023 9:50 AM in response to Computer Curmudgeon

well that was a bust. The guy I spoke to was nice and he saw the problem. He then suggested I use TimeMachine to go back to 13.1. I told him, that I didn't think one can anymore but he assured me.

I booted recovery and selected a backup from Sunday that was 13.1. It then has me selected Install MacOS, but then goes right back to select which backup with a message to install MacOS again, then use Migration Assistant to get your files.

I started that, but it was obvious it was going to install 13.2.

It is true, even with a backup in TimeMachine we can no longer go backwards in a release.

Jan 27, 2023 10:38 AM in response to Computer Curmudgeon

I am sorry. I asked over and over if I could get access to a copy of Ventura 13.1 as this has made a big mess to me, and I just need to get it back up and running. And they wouldn't tell me how to get it. Frustrating.

I tried the same thing with TimeMachine. Funny, that is the issue I have. I have all my time machines hosted off a drive connected to one machine, and I can't access that data now and can't do a TimeMachine backup with this network drive share being broken.

Jan 28, 2023 5:00 PM in response to Computer Curmudgeon

I understand this problem is not entirely widespread and there are several alleged "fixes;" such as turning on/off filesharing with a reboot between each operation. Another such fix claims that the issue is caused by custom icons being used on the shared resource; however, none of these so-called solutions have proved helpful.

At this point, I can use CMD+K to direct to the sharing system and get a list of available shares - but am unable to map them, or even open them for viewing. I'm not sure what was changed between 13.1 and 13.2 but can we roll this thing back? puh-lease!

Feb 2, 2023 12:52 PM in response to Computer Curmudgeon

the plot thickness, I created an external boot drive for the Mac Studio, with a 'scratch' volume. If I put an icon on the volume smb fails. If I remove it, and stop and restart file serving it works fine.

In my previous tests, I removed the icon from a drive I was trying to mount via SMB, but left the others as shared with their icons. After I am done with setting up the external boot drive and back on to the internal drive, I will remove all drives from sharing except one that will not have an icon and see if that works.

If that does "work" it will make things a bit harder for me as I have lots of external drives with icons representing what they are for. It has made my life easier, but I suppose I should be able to get along without the icons.

Feb 4, 2023 11:10 AM in response to Computer Curmudgeon

Still more testing and more questions with no answers yet. If I leave the icons on the drives, the SMB server on both Macs (iMac and Mac Studio) work fine from anywhere from 5 minutes to 12 hours. Then it just stops responding to requests.

After a reboot, I can mount both directions to the Macs, and the PCs. Then it just stops. If I reboot again, it might work, might be wedged. If it works it will eventually stop.

Still looking for a way to keep it going...

Feb 6, 2023 11:02 PM in response to extotherule

I hope people are reporting this to Apple. I spoke to 2 support agents. The first one was very helpful and could see there was a problem and agreed with all my trouble shooting methods to try and resolve it. The second call which I got was most unhelpful as the guy just said it was probably a network (hardware) problem and there was nothing he could do about it.

I should mention that my network had not changed when then problem started and I even created a 2 station network using a different switch to replicate it.

Needless to say I think we should all report it formally to get some traction with Apple on this one.

Dave

Feb 7, 2023 6:33 PM in response to extotherule

I have downgraded my miniMac file, media and TM server from Ventura 13.2 to Monterey 12.6.1. All shares are on the miniMac. Now the other Macs in my home running Ventura 13.2 can access the Monterey shares without any problem. I presume that would also be the case for 13.1. My miniMac (M1) came installed with Monterey, so it defaulted to install Monterey when I erased the disc. I do not plan to upgrade miniMac to Ventura until these issues have been completely resolved. The client Macs, however, running Ventura 13.2 seem to access the shares without any problem after a couple of days.

Feb 13, 2023 1:20 PM in response to extotherule

My Mac Studio is the SMB client, it was running 13.2 and as a client it worked fine. It could not be a server with this version. With much fear and trepidation, I updated this system to 13.2.1. It works fine as an SMB client, but any drive I try to serve, is not accessible by any SMB client system.

Bottom line: 13.2.1 does not fix the smb server issue.

SMB broke in 13.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.