Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad problem

I did a factory reset on my old ipad and sent it to my daughter to use. But now it asks for my Apple ID. how does she get it to accept her Apple ID.

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 2:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 3:42 AM

A “factory reset” will not, on its own, remove the Activation Lock that will prevent anyone from reusing your old iPad. The Activation Lock is an anti-theft mechanism that ensures that a lost or stolen iPad is useless to anyone other than the user who last successfully activated the device during setup.

You will need to remove the Activation Lock from your AppleID account before your daughter will be able to set-up or use the iPad:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Presumably you no longer have the iPad in your possession. As such, follow the section entitled “If you no longer have your iPhone or iPad”:

no longer have your device, use these steps:

1. Ask the new owner to erase all content and settings using the above steps.
  2. If you're using iCloud and Find My [device] on the device, sign in to iCloud.com/find or the Find My app on another device, select the device, and click Erase. After the device has been erased, click Remove from Account.
  3. If you can't follow either of the above steps, change your Apple ID password. This won't remove personal information that's stored on your old device, but it prevents the new owner from deleting your information from iCloud.
  4. If you're switching to a non-Apple phone, deregister iMessage
  5. If you're using Apple Pay, you can remove your credit or debit cards at iCloud.com. Choose Account Settings to see which devices are using Apple Pay, then click the device. Next to Apple Pay, click Remove.
  6. Remove your old device from your list of trusted devices.
  7. If you purchased an AppleCare plan for your device, cancel your AppleCare plan.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2023 3:42 AM in response to jpc6324

A “factory reset” will not, on its own, remove the Activation Lock that will prevent anyone from reusing your old iPad. The Activation Lock is an anti-theft mechanism that ensures that a lost or stolen iPad is useless to anyone other than the user who last successfully activated the device during setup.

You will need to remove the Activation Lock from your AppleID account before your daughter will be able to set-up or use the iPad:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Presumably you no longer have the iPad in your possession. As such, follow the section entitled “If you no longer have your iPhone or iPad”:

no longer have your device, use these steps:

1. Ask the new owner to erase all content and settings using the above steps.
  2. If you're using iCloud and Find My [device] on the device, sign in to iCloud.com/find or the Find My app on another device, select the device, and click Erase. After the device has been erased, click Remove from Account.
  3. If you can't follow either of the above steps, change your Apple ID password. This won't remove personal information that's stored on your old device, but it prevents the new owner from deleting your information from iCloud.
  4. If you're switching to a non-Apple phone, deregister iMessage
  5. If you're using Apple Pay, you can remove your credit or debit cards at iCloud.com. Choose Account Settings to see which devices are using Apple Pay, then click the device. Next to Apple Pay, click Remove.
  6. Remove your old device from your list of trusted devices.
  7. If you purchased an AppleCare plan for your device, cancel your AppleCare plan.

ipad problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.