Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

installation permissions

Hi everyone,

I am using an M1 Pro Macbook Pro running Ventura 13.2 and recently I started having issues with installing applications. I am getting "installation failed" when opening the dmg files from Downloads. I received an advice that it may work if I move the dmg to the Desktop and this has worked, but I can't figure out why. My use has Admin rights. I checked the file permissions and everything seems to be set up properly. Any ideas why this happens? Thanks.

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Jan 24, 2023 3:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 9:05 AM

I was able to fix this issue by updating the System Settings for Full Disk Access, the Installer needed the options to be turned On, once you turned the options on, the installer will run with no issues (see screenshot).

12 replies

Jan 24, 2023 11:34 AM in response to Randall_2023

Yes, I noticed that software sometimes lags behind the OS updates. In this particular case it is supposed to be compatible with Ventura. Moreover, if I copy the dmg on the Desktop (or another folder), the installation succeeds. So it seems to be related to running the dmg from the Downloads folder. Hence why I suspect it is related to permissions - but I could be wrong.

Jan 25, 2023 9:49 AM in response to laurentiu245

All I can suggest at this juncture is to Boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down  - Intel Macs) or  (How to Boot an M1 Mac into Recovery Mode), select Disk Utility and run First Aid on the Macintosh HD - Data volume. If you get an error repeat until there's no error reported.

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Jan 25, 2023 9:59 AM in response to laurentiu245

I thought a lot about this. I'm curious if you might have more than one Downloads folder? (Could be spelled the same or maybe even just 'Download'. Therefore making it APPEAR as though Desktop and Downloads permissions are the same. But in reality there's a second folder with a similar name or it might be in a different location on the drive. That’s about all I have at this point. If you need a nice tool for searching, I recommend, Find Any File:

https://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php

Jan 25, 2023 9:22 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for the suggestions. I did as advised, First Aid returned no errors. Also, there is no other Downloads or similar folder - I checked also the hidden folders. So I guess it is not a disk issue. It does not look like a permissions issue either. So I am wondering if the installer has any reason to distinguish between being run from Downloads folder vs. any other.

installation permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.