You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fast charging - brick or cable?

I'd like to charge my SE (2) with a 2m long cable (but Apple no longer sells a 2m charging cable). I have several bricks that are reasonable powerful and are USB A power supplies.

I understand that the new brick/cable charging combo charges the new SE2 faster than the old brick and old (USB A) cable did. Perhaps USB C handles power better than USB A did. Is that the case?

If I use a more powerful brick with the old cable, will it also charge rapidly? Or to simplify - is the new brick the more important part of the charging equation or is the new cable the more important part of the equation. Or are BOTH crucial to fast charging?

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 9:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 2:08 PM

Vancouver22 wrote:

Fast charging is supported on Apple Watch Ultra, Apple Watch Series 8, and Apple Watch Series 7. The SE.battery doesn’t support this.

About fast charge on Apple Watch - Apple Support

This is true. Missed that entirely.

7 replies

Jan 25, 2023 9:48 AM in response to Moocann

Both are important to fast charging, but the brick is the more important part.

You need the extra power provided by a brick to fast charge. No cable alone will provide fast charging if the connected charger does not offer enough power for it.

To Fast charge, you need a 18watt or greater charger and a good quality cable. A good quality cable can be one that ends in traditional USB-A however.

And yes, Apple still sells 2m USB-A to Lightning cables to charge iPhones.

Click here ➡️ Lightning to USB Cable (2 m) - Apple

(Select the 2m option from the Length dropdown).

Fast charging - brick or cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.