Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes crashes when opening on intel Mac OS Ventura

I've got a less than 3 yr old intel iMac and the latest version of Ventura. I rarely use iTunes on my Mac...I can't remember the most recent time.

Trying to start the program, it opens and crashes within a second or two. Sometimes with a crash report panel, sometimes not. Restarting my Mac didn't help.

Any idea where to go with this?

iMac 27″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 5:21 PM

No problem, glad to help out! If you subscribe to Apple Music, or all that was in your Library were previous purchases, all you have to do is sign in to download your content again. Otherwise you can re-import the media into the new Library, and depending may be able to get your custom playlists back.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2023 5:21 PM in response to Stephen Jacobs4

No problem, glad to help out! If you subscribe to Apple Music, or all that was in your Library were previous purchases, all you have to do is sign in to download your content again. Otherwise you can re-import the media into the new Library, and depending may be able to get your custom playlists back.

Jan 26, 2023 6:05 PM in response to Stephen Jacobs4

Thanks for reaching out Stephen Jacobs4,

It sounds like you're having a hard time using iTunes on macOS Ventura. We can help.

Since you are using macOS Ventura, it is important to know that features that had once been handled by iTunes are now handled by a few different apps. You can use this guide to learn more: What happened to iTunes?

If you still have iTunes, which would be unusual, you would want to discontinue use of it as it is not intended to work with macOS Catalina forward. This may also indicate an issue with your macOS installation, and you may want to consider now to be a good time to Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac and check out these steps on How to reinstall macOS.

Hope that helps.

Take care.

Jan 27, 2023 9:12 AM in response to Stephen Jacobs4

Stephen Jacobs4,

Thank you for the clarification. Based on your recent post, we recommend you try the steps in the link below since the Music app keeps crashing on your Mac.

If an app on your Mac stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open

To perform the steps in the article we suggested above, click and open the link, read the subheadings below, and try each step.

1) Quit and reopen the app

2) Restart your Mac

3) Check for updates

4) Reinstall the app

We recommend the steps above because they will show you what to do if an app on your Mac does not work as expected.

Please let us know the outcome after giving the above steps a try.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Jan 27, 2023 1:15 PM in response to Stephen Jacobs4

Try creating a new library and see if it crashes or not:

With Music not open, hold the Option key while opening Music, then choose the option for a new Library. (If it stays open long enough).

If it doesn’t quit on you, you can move your content to the new Library.

If it still quits on you, you can return to your original Library using the same steps.

If it still quits on you, Id test in a new admin account, if it does the same there, then I’d reinstall Ventura, (Which includes the Music app):

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Hope something here helps.

Jan 26, 2023 9:56 PM in response to Stephen Jacobs4

Hey Stephen Jacobs4!

I’d agree with AdvisorMP.

If it is indeed “iTunes” it shouldn’t be.

If it is “Music” that displays on the top menu, and in Finder > Applications......

Did this start happening after any particular changes? That would be best to know! Especially if after upgrading from a few operating systems ago, or a data migration or a reinstall, etc.

Likewise, if you hold the Option key, click the Apple menu > System Information > Applications, (Under the Software section).....Do you see two versions of iTunes or Music?

iTunes crashes when opening on intel Mac OS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.