Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Original items for Downloads or Desktop suddenly missing

I am using a MacBook Pro 2020 M1. Each time I click on the Desktop or Downloads folder in Finder, I get the following pop-up message: The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Downloads” can’t be found.

I have checked that my MacBook is up to date. I am also experiencing the same issue on a MacBook Air 2020 M1 that I've used for work. Other items, such as Dropbox, Applications, Creative Cloud (listed in order under the other two items) are working fine.

I've tried restarting my MacBook(s), checked the software, and used Force Quit for Finder. Any idea what this could be and how I can access my Downloads or Desktop in Finder as I've always been able to?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 12:50 PM

mlcanter wrote:

I am using a MacBook Pro 2020 M1. Each time I click on the Desktop or Downloads folder in Finder, I get the following pop-up message: The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Downloads” can’t be found.

I have checked that my MacBook is up to date. I am also experiencing the same issue on a MacBook Air 2020 M1 that I've used for work. Other items, such as Dropbox, Applications, Creative Cloud (listed in order under the other two items) are working fine.

I've tried restarting my MacBook(s), checked the software, and used Force Quit for Finder. Any idea what this could be and how I can access my Downloads or Desktop in Finder as I've always been able to?

Are you using any third party, there are many(?)... all places to look at Setting and your preferences

Dropbox

OneDrive

GoogleDrive

etc.

Also iCloud Drive...See if by default iCloud Drive got turned on— look for your files there.

Recover deleted files on iCloud.com - Apple Support

iCloud drive missing desktop and documents

Access and manage your files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2023 12:50 PM in response to mlcanter

mlcanter wrote:

Are you using any third party, there are many(?)... all places to look at Setting and your preferences

Dropbox

OneDrive

GoogleDrive

etc.

Also iCloud Drive...See if by default iCloud Drive got turned on— look for your files there.

Recover deleted files on iCloud.com - Apple Support

iCloud drive missing desktop and documents

Access and manage your files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Jan 26, 2023 6:48 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

No, it's the Downloads in the sidebar of Finder that I can't access. Unfortunately I can't even share a screenshot with you as I can't locate the screenshots I took (they're usually saved to my Desktop). I've tried Finder > Settings > Sidebar to check and uncheck Desktop and Downloads, but they just keep multiplying and then disappearing all together from the sidebar.

Jan 26, 2023 6:50 AM in response to leroydouglas

Unfortunately none of my Downloads or Desktop files seem to be saved to third party apps. I've tried Finder > Settings > Sidebar to check and uncheck Desktop and Downloads, but they just keep multiplying and then disappearing all together from the sidebar. I can't even share a screenshot with you as I can't locate the screenshots I took (they're usually saved to my Desktop).

Jan 26, 2023 10:16 AM in response to mlcanter

The Downloads reference in the Finder sidebar is just an Alias. You can drag off to remove and drag a new one or a different one on to insert ANY folder you have access to.

for example, I don't do Movies, so I dragged that folder-icon off and it went poof.

I did want direct access to Utilities (normally buried inside Applications) so I dragged that one onto the Finder sidebar. Then drag up or down to your liking.

Jan 31, 2023 5:21 AM in response to mlcanter

they are available in Finder inside your user directory (the one with your username and the Home Icon).

/Users

your userid

Desktop

Documents

Downloads

Pictures

Movies

Music

Public

Your spouse's userid

Desktop

Documents

Downloads

Pictures

Movies

Music

Public

your child's userid

Desktop

Documents

Downloads

Pictures

Movies

Music

Public

Original items for Downloads or Desktop suddenly missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.