Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Apple Music" Folder

I have noticed that my recent purchases from iTunes store are downloaded to "Apple Music" folder. My file structure is "/Macintosh HD/Users/me/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music". The downloads didn't go to my normal directory: /Macintosh HD/Users/me/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Music. Do I need to reorganize my Music folder? I'm running Ventura 13.1 and Music 1.3.2.31.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 12:53 PM

Hi there, Apple Music is typically the name of a folder within the designated media folder which is used for downloads from the Apple Music service. Your own purchases wouldn't normally end up there. What is the file extension for files ending up in that folder?

tt2

9 replies

Feb 25, 2023 5:52 AM in response to kchirapo

This is exactly what happened with an album I bought... So I buy the entire album after I listened to part of it on Apple Music.

After purchase, I'm looking for the downloaded album folder, with only a part of the tracks present. Turns out: The Music app saved the 7 tracks that I had already listened to before the purchase through Apple Music as a movpkg file in the "Apple Music" folder, and the rest of the tracks were correctly downloaded into the artist folder in the "Music" folder ... There is no chance to re-download the correct files. When I erase those 7 from the Cloud & re-download them, they reappear in the Apple Music folder.

This is clearly a bug and I want to have to actual m4a files so I can use them outside of the computer...

Feb 26, 2023 3:14 PM in response to turingtest2

They might be lossless but those .movpkg files are purchased songs - that, and that's my assumption, we have listened to in Apple Music before the purchase... and thus my guess is that the bug in the Music app consists of the missing transfer of an Apple Music item to a purchased file (see my post below). And so there's the situation that Apple is not fulfilling its part of the purchase deal that would consist in providing the purchased m4a file as a downloadable item.

"Apple Music" Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.