Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problems with ventura 13.2

Since updating to Ventura 13.2 my Seagate harddrives and all thumb drives are not being recognised. I have an Intel iMac i7 2017 model.

They could all be seen in the previous version.

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 2:09 AM

14 replies

Feb 9, 2023 6:47 AM in response to Swimpari

update. I did get Seagate toolkit to work after installing the driver and restarting 4 times.

Pioneer drive is still out. Known issue by Pioneer as well: https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Computer/Computer+Drives/BDR-XS07S#downloads

• "Important notice: We have confirmed that our optical drives are not recognized by macOS Ventura 13.2 released by Apple on January 23, 2023. We are currently investigating this symptom. We would like to ask our customers who are using our optical drives to refrain from updating to macOS Ventura 13.2.

I can only imagine what else was taken out.

Jan 26, 2023 2:19 AM in response to Awrence70

Awrence70 wrote:

Since updating to Ventura 13.2 my Seagate harddrives and all thumb drives are not being recognised. I have an Intel iMac i7 2017 model.
They could all be seen in the previous version.

1 - How exactly are the External Drives attached to the computer ?

2 - " Since updating to Ventura 13.2 " implies there was already a pervious version of Ventura Installed. Is that correct ?

3 - Or does the user mean and UpGrade from an earlier version of macOS and if so what version ?

Jan 26, 2023 2:33 AM in response to PRP_53

time machine directly attached into mac; others via usb hub

Previously Ventura 13.1 installed

To be clear I have a G-tech harddrive attached via the same usb hub and that is recognised. also a Samsung ssd vial a different usb hub also recognised.

I am in communication with an apple support employee who is helping me but I thought maybe other members of this community are also having problems.

I have had to erase my internal fusion drive and reinstall Ventura and am now in the process of installing the last Time machine backup that worked. I will let you know how it turns out.

Feb 3, 2023 12:25 PM in response to Awrence70

I updated to Ventura 13.2 2 or 3 dys ago and since the update my 2019 iMac does not recognize my Seagate 8TB backup drive which I have used for the past year and a half. I connected it to my MacBook Pro which is running Mojave 10.14.6 and it recognizes the Seagate drive. Using my MacBook, I ran first aid on the Seagate drive and when finished got the report that the drive was good. Ventura 13.2 does not recognize any flash drives I connect either.

The Seagate drive is recognized in safe mode and recovery mode, and I can run disk repair from disk utility. Just to see if I would get the same result I ran disk repair in recovery mode and got the same result as when I ran it on the Seagate drive on my MacBook Pro. The issue is NOT with the drive but with Apple's update!

I checked with Seagate and spent an hour on the phone with a troubleshooter and was finally told the issue needs to be corrected by Apple and that Seagate hopes to have a fix as well. However, that likely will depend on how Apple resolves this issue.

The original move to Ventura 13 had issues but they seemed to have been resolved with the 13.1 update. My backup drive and flash drives were working fine prior to the 13.2 update.

I would try to go to re-install from my most recent successful backup on the Seagate but of course, can't do that because the drive is not recognized with 13.2.

Feb 4, 2023 1:34 AM in response to Awrence70

With help from Apple support I had to first check that my time machine backup was ok using disk utility in safe mode, then completely delete my iMac harddrive, install a fresh version of Ventura.Starting up the iMac leaving all my peripherals unplugged and only the Time Machine backup connected (which is also a seagate drive). This was recognised after a restart and I could install the last working backup. In the meantime Paragon had updated NTFS for mac and after plugging in all my peripherals everything including all my Seagate drives are recognised.

I am not sure if the update for Paragon NTFS for mac was the life saver or the clean install of Ventura but the important thing is that I have a fully functioning computer again. For those with Seagate drives I recommend Visiting their website for an update of the paragon driver.

Feb 4, 2023 10:48 AM in response to Awrence70

I am trying to avoid wiping my hard drive because I did not realize the drive issue soon enough so wiping my hard drive will result in losing important work that did not get backed prior to when I noticed that my backup drive was not appearing and thus unavailable. I'm hoping for a fix that does not require erasing the contents of my iMac drive. This must be a widespread problem and I'm sure there are many who find themselves in a similar situation where they don't want to lose what is saved on their computer drive that did not get backed up due to not realizing the issue Apple's update to Ventura has caused. Since my iMac doesn't recognize my Seagate backup drive or any flash drives I can't backup the iMac before wiping things clean. What I have done that hasn't resolved the issue is to go into recovery mode and reinstall Ventura, which should be a clean install of 13.2. I also download and reinstalled the latest Paragon NTFS available at the Seagate support site (which is what I already had installed on the iMac but reinstalled again after the reinstall of 13.2) and the issue remains. Before I take the step to wipe my iMac clean and try what was successful for you, Awrence70, I've got to find a way to save the changes I've made that did not get backed up. One thing this experience has reminded me is to be more careful about holding off on installing an update until it has been out long enough for Apple to eliminate issues they've caused with the update. So for now the issue remains for me and probably for many others. Thanks for your post.

Feb 6, 2023 2:40 AM in response to Pete64x46

I just re-installed Monterey no issue with any drives then update to Ventura 13.2 and my Promise Pegasus showed up and all my external SD card readers worked and USB Thumbdrives showed also up when inserted in any attached USB A port. However this did not last long after a few restarts to install my applications again I'm back to square one Promise does not show up, non of the external SD cards slots works and no USB drive inserted in any of the USB A slots works. This is now the 4th day I cant bloody work

Feb 8, 2023 10:17 AM in response to oxmox11

Oxmox11, Somewhere during my attempts to resolve the issue on my iMac I decided I had to contact Apple so on this past Sunday evening I went online and requested a call back. After I described what I had already tried to the first tech she checked with a more senior troubleshooter and then handed off my case to him. He and I spent at least an hour and a half on the phone as he led me through steps to erase and reinstall a clean version of Ventura 13.2. After a clean install and a most recent backup installed my computer has been working great and my Seagate backup is recognized as are flash drives. So far things are stable and working well. The downside is that after not wanting to wipe the hard disk clean I had to do that so I lost at least a couple of days work that did not get backed up due to the disk not being recognized. I will probably never know why the 13.2 update caused the issue or what happened to cause such a snafu when I tried to reinstall Ventura and the situation went from bad to worse. But at least now my 2019 iMac is back up and running!

Feb 9, 2023 6:28 AM in response to Awrence70

I'm having issues with my Seagate external HHD not allowing me to install Toolkit, and my Pioneer Blu-Ray drive won't recognize at all after updated to 13.2.

Apple removed USB drivers for whatever reason. The same way they removed airplay from 2018 Mac minis to force you to buy a new one.

This is BS apple. Stop removing features to limit what people can do on their systems I never thought I'd go back to windows, but I am tempted to build a machine. MS would never take away USB drive support. WTF?!?!?!

problems with ventura 13.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.