Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain: "Observations"

Hello, from time to time, I come across something in my keychain that makes me question its reason for being there. Today I came across: "Observations". The keychain shows it's "kind" as an application password, and that it is "system" in keychain. Under "Access Control" it shows as: "searchpartyd". Is this an apple related system password? I used to be able to find if something is apple related when looking under the access control. These days with malware getting more, and more tricky. It can be easy to click on something you did not intend to.

Is there a way to look up standard keychain items controlled by Apple. I realize this could cause concern for a lot of people that might not understand there are such items. I would just like to be able to confirm that they could in fact be Apple rather than contacting support.

Thanks for your help!

MacBook Air (M2)

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 10:44 AM

Artgirl101 wrote:

Hello, from time to time, I come across something in my keychain that makes me question its reason for being there. Today I came across:

"Observations". The keychain shows it's "kind" as an application password, and that it is "system" in keychain.

Under "Access Control" it shows as: "searchpartyd". Is this an apple related system password? I used to be able to find if something is apple related when looking under the access control. These days with malware getting more, and more tricky. It can be easy to click on something you did not intend to.
Is there a way to look up standard keychain items controlled by Apple. I realize this could cause concern for a lot of people that might not understand there are such items. I would just like to be able to confirm that they could in fact be Apple rather than contacting support.

Thanks for your help!

<searchpartyd>

It is a legitimate macOS process yes

this is macOS daemon involved in providing the Find My service.

ref: Use the Find My app to locate a missing device or item

macOS - Security - Apple macOS - Security - Apple

Apple Platform Security - Apple Apple Platform Security - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2023 10:44 AM in response to Artgirl101

Artgirl101 wrote:

Hello, from time to time, I come across something in my keychain that makes me question its reason for being there. Today I came across:

"Observations". The keychain shows it's "kind" as an application password, and that it is "system" in keychain.

Under "Access Control" it shows as: "searchpartyd". Is this an apple related system password? I used to be able to find if something is apple related when looking under the access control. These days with malware getting more, and more tricky. It can be easy to click on something you did not intend to.

Thanks for your help!

<searchpartyd>

It is a legitimate macOS process yes

this is macOS daemon involved in providing the Find My service.

ref: Use the Find My app to locate a missing device or item

macOS - Security - Apple macOS - Security - Apple

Apple Platform Security - Apple Apple Platform Security - Apple Support

Jan 26, 2023 11:47 AM in response to Artgirl101

Artgirl101 wrote:

HI Leroy, Thank you for your reply. It looks like I figured out how you got to that screen in the activity monitor. So as long as platform says macOS, I am good?

I don't know how else to say it Artgirl101 —

It is a legitimate macOS process, I tried to make this clear above

I see no issue here

It is part of the macOS

Yes— You are good.

Keychain: "Observations"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.