Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I see the contents of a Recordable CD?

My doctor gave me a CD that should contain my X-rays, but on my MacBook, it's showing 0 items.

FYI, I'm on a MacBook Pro, running Monterey version 12.6.2. I'm using an external disc drive that's reliably worked in the recent past.

Upon inserting the disc, it appears on my desktop as "Untitled CD.fpbf" and upon opening it in Finder, a title bar appears at the top saying "Recordable CD" and a Burn button on the right. But the rest of the Finder window is blank, as if the CD has no contents at all.

So either my Mac can't read the CD, or this is a blank disc. I'm assuming it's the first option, since my doctor's office uses PC's.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 4:08 PM

dbeadle511 wrote:

Is it likely that a Windows computer would be able to read the files, or is it more a function of missing software?

It is unfortunately a Windows world....every other OS is a second class citizen at best.

I have seen a post on these forums where a contributor mentioned some software that is able to read these medical CDs, but I don't recall the software. A quick search for "macOS how to read medical cd .fpbf" results in this article which mentions you need to use a DICOM Viewer app such as OsirixMDHOROS Project, and Miele-LXIV. According to the article these apps are all based on the same open source technology, but with different features. All are supposedly optimized for Apple Silicon as well.

https://www.exploringchiropractic.com/blog/2021/11/how-to-open-digital-x-ray-images-on-your-mac

Edit: Oops, made a mistake in the search criteria, but it still got it right.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2023 4:08 PM in response to dbeadle511

dbeadle511 wrote:

Is it likely that a Windows computer would be able to read the files, or is it more a function of missing software?

It is unfortunately a Windows world....every other OS is a second class citizen at best.

I have seen a post on these forums where a contributor mentioned some software that is able to read these medical CDs, but I don't recall the software. A quick search for "macOS how to read medical cd .fpbf" results in this article which mentions you need to use a DICOM Viewer app such as OsirixMDHOROS Project, and Miele-LXIV. According to the article these apps are all based on the same open source technology, but with different features. All are supposedly optimized for Apple Silicon as well.

https://www.exploringchiropractic.com/blog/2021/11/how-to-open-digital-x-ray-images-on-your-mac

Edit: Oops, made a mistake in the search criteria, but it still got it right.

Jan 26, 2023 2:51 PM in response to babowa

I thought that might be the case. It's still strange that the files, even unreadable ones, are invisible in Finder. It makes me wonder what the point is to have copies that I can't even see, though I suppose I could hand it to a doctor to look at in the future.

How do I see the contents of a Recordable CD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.