Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone mail app suddenly stopped syncing gmail with google (deleted emails)

I've used gmail on my iPhone mail app since forever with no issues. Suddenly in the last couple of days I've noticed that when I'm deleting emails on my iPhone the emails are NOT being deleted from my google account and subsequently not from any other attached device (like my iMac). The settings appear to be the same across multiple gmail accounts yet only one account seems to be affected (see (2) below)

Summary:

1) I'm using the Apple Mail app with gmail accounts (I hate the gmail app)

2) I have multiple gmail accounts, but only one is showing this behavior (my primary account of course)

3) I'm on iOS 16.2 which has been installed for a while (possibly eliminating a software change as the cause)

iPhone 12

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 4:14 PM

Hey Roscoe17,

You provided great details! The first step we recommend is backing up your iPhone, then updating the software and apps. Updates can help by installing bug fixes and important security updates. These guides will help with backing up and updating:

1. How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
  2. Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support
  3. How to manually update apps on your Apple device - Apple Support

If the emails are still not syncing up, remove the account and add it back to see if fresh connections help to resolve this. Those steps can be found under "Remove your email account and set it up again" here: If you can’t send email on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Remove your email account and set it up again

1. On your computer, sign in to your email provider’s website. Make sure that all of your email is there or make sure that your email is saved somewhere other than on your iOS or iPadOS device.
2. On your device, go to Settings > Mail, then tap Accounts.
3. Tap the email account that you want to remove.
4. Tap Delete Account.
5. Add your account again.

Let us know how it goes.

Take care!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2023 4:14 PM in response to Roscoe17

Hey Roscoe17,

You provided great details! The first step we recommend is backing up your iPhone, then updating the software and apps. Updates can help by installing bug fixes and important security updates. These guides will help with backing up and updating:

1. How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
  2. Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support
  3. How to manually update apps on your Apple device - Apple Support

If the emails are still not syncing up, remove the account and add it back to see if fresh connections help to resolve this. Those steps can be found under "Remove your email account and set it up again" here: If you can’t send email on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Remove your email account and set it up again

1. On your computer, sign in to your email provider’s website. Make sure that all of your email is there or make sure that your email is saved somewhere other than on your iOS or iPadOS device.
2. On your device, go to Settings > Mail, then tap Accounts.
3. Tap the email account that you want to remove.
4. Tap Delete Account.
5. Add your account again.

Let us know how it goes.

Take care!

iPhone mail app suddenly stopped syncing gmail with google (deleted emails)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.