Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I found an iPad that belongs to someone else. How can I find out who to give it back to?

I have the model and serial number from the iPad. How can I find out if it's been reported lost or stolen? I would like to return it to it's owner.

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 5:38 PM

Unless the iPad displays contact information, you’ll not be able to trace its owner. Apple will not assist with reuniting a device with its owner - as in so doing, Apple would have to access and use data that may transgress privacy laws/legislation in many countries.

Your best course of action is to hand-in the device that you have found to your local authorities - or, if appropriate, to the lost and found department of the institution within which the item was located when it was found.

Be sure to give precise information as to where you found the item.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2023 5:38 PM in response to davidjkari

Unless the iPad displays contact information, you’ll not be able to trace its owner. Apple will not assist with reuniting a device with its owner - as in so doing, Apple would have to access and use data that may transgress privacy laws/legislation in many countries.

Your best course of action is to hand-in the device that you have found to your local authorities - or, if appropriate, to the lost and found department of the institution within which the item was located when it was found.

Be sure to give precise information as to where you found the item.

I found an iPad that belongs to someone else. How can I find out who to give it back to?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.