📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iPadOS 18 is now available

Explore new ways to work with Apple Pencil, discover new experiences in apps, and customize iPad even further. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Various websites say safari needs to be upgraded. However I am using most up to date iOS on my iPad. What wrong?

Various websites say safari needs to be upgraded. However I am using most up to date iOS on my iPad. What’s

wrong?

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 6:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 6:50 AM

What iOS version is running on your iPad exactly? Settings ➜ General ➜ About ➜ Version

What model of iPad do you have? click here ➜ Identify your iPad model - Apple Support

While it may be the most up to date iOS version for your iPad, it may not be the most up to date version available in general, which means your Safari version may now be considered a bit too old and outdated by some websites.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 27, 2023 6:50 AM in response to ttabour

What iOS version is running on your iPad exactly? Settings ➜ General ➜ About ➜ Version

What model of iPad do you have? click here ➜ Identify your iPad model - Apple Support

While it may be the most up to date iOS version for your iPad, it may not be the most up to date version available in general, which means your Safari version may now be considered a bit too old and outdated by some websites.

Jan 27, 2023 12:54 PM in response to ttabour

Safari is an integral element of iOS/iPadOS - and cannot be updated independently of the OS. 

If your iPad has been updated to the most recent version supported by your iPad (the model and installed version of iOS have not been declared), then Safari is as up-to-date as is possible.

However, some websites incorrectly identify your iOS/iPadOS Safari User Agent when used in one or other of its browsing modes - of which their are two - these being Desktop and Mobile. It’s easy to switch between modes if a website isn’t functioning correctly. From the desired web-page, touch the aA icon at the left of the Address Bar; this will reveal a menu. From the menu select Website Settings, then select (or deselect) Request Desktop Website, then tap Done. Now refresh the webpage.

The chosen setting will be saved for the selected website - and can be simply reversed if needed.

You can check to see how your browser is identified, in each of its modes, using this website:

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/

Various websites say safari needs to be upgraded. However I am using most up to date iOS on my iPad. What wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.