You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook Pro has a battery cycle count of 5. Is it normal?

I bought a new MacBook Pro 2021 model last week, and when I checked the system information, I found that it had 5 charge cycles. Is this normal for a new MacBook Pro, or is it a used device?

P.S.: I bought it from an Apple authorized store, and they opened the box in front of me.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 10:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 10:15 AM

Yes, that is completely normal for a new MacBook Pro. That small number of cycles occurs in factory testing. so you can be assured the Charging system is working perfectly.

Just like getting a new car with under 30 miles on the odometer. it was run around the track at the factory and driven slightly in getting it to you.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 27, 2023 10:15 AM in response to Prabu_NK

Yes, that is completely normal for a new MacBook Pro. That small number of cycles occurs in factory testing. so you can be assured the Charging system is working perfectly.

Just like getting a new car with under 30 miles on the odometer. it was run around the track at the factory and driven slightly in getting it to you.

Jan 27, 2023 10:18 AM in response to Prabu_NK

Prabu_NK wrote:

I bought a new MacBook Pro 2021 model last week, and when I checked the system information, I found that it had 5 charge cycles. Is this normal for a new MacBook Pro, or is it a used device?

P.S.: I bought it from an Apple authorized store, and they opened the box in front of me.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/6a08f8b7-8133-43e6-8472-92d80c574db6

This is not an issue, and consider normal.

You have an expected 1000 cycle count.

Rule of thumb—if you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need the portability run on battery only.

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

New MacBook Pro has a battery cycle count of 5. Is it normal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.