Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB A to thunderbolt 4

I don't have any device that uses a thunderbolt connector. I wanted to buy a new mac mini M2, and it looks like they've piled on tons of those useless thunderbolt ports and only 2 USB A ports.

to use all those open ports I have to get a USB A to USB C adapter and THEN a USB C to Thunderbolt 4 adapter?

I liked my mini because I could take my old peripherals. I don't have the money for brand new everything but my 2012 mini is about dead (haven't updated since Mojave to avoid compatibility problems).

Did a search for compatible adapters and can't find anything. I guess I could get a really big USB A to USB A adapter with a bunch of slots but that will slow down data transfer with basically all my peripherals running through the one dongle

Anyone have other ideas? It's ridiculous that Apple didn't just add a couple of USB C ports to avoid have to avoid all the adapters (yeah I get it, it's just a money maker). I'd hate to go back to PC because hookups are impossible.

Thanks everyone!

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 12:36 PM

USB-C is the same port connector as Thunderbolt.

You will not need a USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter.

Your USB-A devices will work with simple USB-C to USB-A adapters.

Thunderbolt ports are the way of the now and the future. They are much more useful than USB-A.

Similar questions

4 replies

USB A to thunderbolt 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.