Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect to a Home Theater Reciever

How to best connect Apple TV 4K to a home theater receiver?

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 1:36 AM

The ARC or eARC ports are intended for the connection between the screen and the audio processing unit. So use that for the connection LG TV ⇄ AV receiver. Connect the Apple TV box to any other HDMI-in port on the receiver or TV, whichever suits you best.

I have my AV receiver as the central hub to which all other HDMI devices are connected (first option from the list above). That way I can switch input devices with the the same receiver remote in every case.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2023 1:36 AM in response to Joe PDX

The ARC or eARC ports are intended for the connection between the screen and the audio processing unit. So use that for the connection LG TV ⇄ AV receiver. Connect the Apple TV box to any other HDMI-in port on the receiver or TV, whichever suits you best.

I have my AV receiver as the central hub to which all other HDMI devices are connected (first option from the list above). That way I can switch input devices with the the same receiver remote in every case.

Jan 27, 2023 5:27 PM in response to Joe PDX

That depends on the capabilities of the TV and the receiver. It can work either way (see below), but the middle device might restrict what quality can be passed on to the end device. So what is your model receiver? And what is your model TV (and does it have eARC)?

Apple TV →[HDMI]→ AV receiver →[HDMI ARC/eARC]→ TV with video passthrough

or

Apple TV →[HDMI]→ TV →[HDMI ARC/eARC]→ receiver with audio passthrough

or

Apple TV →[HDMI]→ HDMI Audio Extractor →[HDMI]→ TV if neither of the above is satisfactory

↘︎[HDMI]→ receiver

Jan 30, 2023 12:57 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you!

I have a Denon AVR S750 receiver and the LG OLED 55BX

both support 1 HDMI connection with eARC. I had previously hoped to find a port replicator/switch for eARC but have not found that.

regardless I run a Dish Hopper, 4k Panasonic disc player, a turntable and an xbox 360. It all works now and I control it with the Old Logitech Programable remote.

But the content guides are bad, and connections not 100% reliable. So I have ordered a Apple TV 4k 128GB / w/ethernet. I have both wired and wireless home network connections (prefer wired when available)

My dilemma ( I am guessing ) will be eARC HdMI. Right now it is connected directly into the receiver.

It all works but I am not sure how to connect the Apple TV and mess up the rest , or perhaps not get the optimal Video decoding.

Apple Tv 4k arrives this Tues.

Any thoughts on this mess?

How to connect to a Home Theater Reciever

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.