Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPHONE GPS WITH OUT SIM

Hi,

It's time to upgrade my Iphone but I'm wondering can I continue to use my current one for MTB when I take the Sim card for the new phone?

Thanks for your help,

J

iPhone XR

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 3:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 3:29 PM

Not entirely certain what you are planning here.

If this is about SIM swapping, SIM sizes are the same for all but the oldest iPhone models:

Learn which size SIM card your iPhone or iPad uses - Apple Support

Swapping a SIM into a carrier-unlocked iPhone should work fine.

The US iPhone 14 models are eSIM only, with no SIM, so no SIM swaps there.

An iPhone with no SIM will work fine for all but cellular calls and for cellular data. Cellular calls and data require a SIM or eSIM. If you mean to use this for mountain biking (and there are various “MTB” things around), yes, the GPS will continue to work, assuming GPS coverage is available. iPhone positioning often prefers to use cellular for positioning, as it is fairly fast and fairly accurate and fairly power-efficient. GPS is more accurate, but is much slower, and needs satellite signal coverage. Whether any particular app will work here?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2023 3:29 PM in response to JASP69

Not entirely certain what you are planning here.

If this is about SIM swapping, SIM sizes are the same for all but the oldest iPhone models:

Learn which size SIM card your iPhone or iPad uses - Apple Support

Swapping a SIM into a carrier-unlocked iPhone should work fine.

The US iPhone 14 models are eSIM only, with no SIM, so no SIM swaps there.

An iPhone with no SIM will work fine for all but cellular calls and for cellular data. Cellular calls and data require a SIM or eSIM. If you mean to use this for mountain biking (and there are various “MTB” things around), yes, the GPS will continue to work, assuming GPS coverage is available. iPhone positioning often prefers to use cellular for positioning, as it is fairly fast and fairly accurate and fairly power-efficient. GPS is more accurate, but is much slower, and needs satellite signal coverage. Whether any particular app will work here?

iPHONE GPS WITH OUT SIM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.