Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv 4th generation voice search using remote not an option

Hi all,

I have a 4th gen Apple TV. And when I open any app and go to the search within the app where the keyboard pops up, there is no way for me to use the voice search via the microphone button on the remote. I tried in App Store, YouTube, and HBO max. Whenever I push the microphone button on the remote, it goes to Siri for the overall Apple TV, not the search that is selected to search the app (like searching a topic in YouTube where I used to be able to say it in the remote)

on iOS 16.3 now, but was on previous versions for months and had the same issue.

Apple TV HD, tvOS 16

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 9:02 PM

yep, understood. I don’t have that option for the mic to search though. Where that is, it says “press play sign to change keyboard”

any other ideas how to fix?

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 27, 2023 5:12 PM in response to ajcmba

For dictation, make sure to have a text entry field (e.g. Search field) active, with the on-screen keyboard visible, and one of the characters selected (not the Search tab itself). You should also see the notification of “Hold {mic button} to dictate search”. Else you’ll get the device-wide search instead.

Enter just the keywords.

Use Siri dictation on Apple TV - Apple Support

apple tv 4th generation voice search using remote not an option

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.