Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't migrate from time machine - Migration Assistant asks for password to non-existant user

I am trying to migrate my computer content from time machine backup to my Mac Mini (i4), using Migration Assistant on the new mac mini (Monterey OS). All goes well until I get an error message saying that password is required from user 'system Administrator'. I have checked and there is no such user. The only user account is the main admin account with my own name - and entering the password for that account does not work (error message: you entered the wrong password). Anyone know what is going on?

Helpful

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 1:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 9:32 AM

if and only If you are not 100% certain the Original Owner has NOT done the below steps, you have two options IMHO

1 - Return for Full Refund

2 - Perform these actions yourself

link below

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

4 replies

Jan 28, 2023 2:47 AM in response to Gregster

The " Owner Account of this computer "  has that privilege to add, remove, upgrade or downgrade accounts. This would include adding more Admin Accounts and / or downgrading an ADDED Admin account 

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Normally the " Owner Account  " is the very first Account used when the Computer was Very First Setup as New and out of the box.

Adding additional Admin Account can be done there after.

Below link all provide additional insights about the Difference between Admin Accounts and Owner Accounts  

https://eclecticlight.co/2021/07/18/last-week-on-my-mac-the-perils-of-m1-ownership/

Jan 29, 2023 8:29 AM in response to PRP_53

I was sold the device second-hand so are you saying that I cannot change the 'Owner' account? I wasn't told this and now can't migrate my stuff. How do I revert to factory settings? In all documentation I've seen it just talks about an admin account and how Admin has full admin rights (and it seems this is not the case).

I can't migrate from time machine - Migration Assistant asks for password to non-existant user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.