Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AWDL causing wifi latency

I'd like to raise an on-going issue regarding awdl causing wifi latency and provide a workaround. This was also raised in this thread, but apparently it's too old for me to add this reply to it.

This is not related to the issue where M1 Macs were intermittently disconnecting from wifi. That issue has been fixed.

This issue regards the fact that awdl uses specific wifi channels when scanning for/connecting to/communicating with local devices (e.g., for AirDrop or Sidecar). If your wifi isn't running on these channels, your Mac will switch channels for these services, which leads to wifi latency.

I've been struggling with this issue for months before I came across a number of posts that discuss the issue and provide a workaround - you can change the wifi channel of your WAP to the same channel used by awdl to remove your Macs need to switch channels.

For 2.4 Ghz wifi, that would be channel 6. It's slightly more complicated for 5 Ghz wifi, as there are different preferred channels - 149 is the main preferred, but at least in Europe and UK, it's channel 44.

References: stackexchange and macrumors.

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 2:49 AM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

AWDL causing wifi latency

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.