Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cinema Display seems Dimmer than previously

Hello,

I have a 27" Apple Cinema Display attached as a second screen to a 2013 27" iMac. The iMac is running Big Sur via Open Core Legacy Patcher.

The Cinema Display has always been a little Dimmer than the iMac, and about a year ago I saw some fine vertical lines appearing on the Screen. Nothing to stop me using it, but noticeable if you had a white screen (Blank Browser page or similar).

About two weeks ago these lines vanished, but now the Cinema Display is noticeably Dimmer than the iMac Screen at Maximum brightness, same with "Automatically adjust brightness" unticked. Anything I can do or is the Display Dying?

Thanks in advance for any reples

Richard

iMac 27″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 2:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 10:21 AM

That model is 9 - 12 years old, depending on when you bought it, and appears to be wearing out. It's considered a vintage model so Apple may test it for you but doubt if they will fix it if they could. That's a good run for a monitor and maybe you should be looking for a 3rd party replacement. They've come a long way in 10 years in resolution and quality.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2023 10:21 AM in response to Peachtree55

That model is 9 - 12 years old, depending on when you bought it, and appears to be wearing out. It's considered a vintage model so Apple may test it for you but doubt if they will fix it if they could. That's a good run for a monitor and maybe you should be looking for a 3rd party replacement. They've come a long way in 10 years in resolution and quality.

Feb 14, 2023 1:55 AM in response to Old Toad

A final update. Just after I had the Mac mini all set up, the Cinema Display refused to come on even though the Mac mini saw it. I did some in depth searching on the internet & found one post where someone had found if you unplugged the power to the display & replugged it very quickly (No more than a second) it jump started the Cinema Display. Willing to try anything I tried this & it worked!

You have to do this every time the Computer goes to sleep or is restarted, & it took me up to eight goes. So I have sold the Cinema Display to someone who reconditions them, also sold the iMac, & got two matching 27" Monitors for the money I got for the iMac & Display! :-)

Cinema Display seems Dimmer than previously

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.