Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop apps from refreshing when I switch between them?

Every time I switch from one app to another, and back again, they refresh and I lose where I was and everything I’d entered up to that point.

it is driving me nuts.

I might use Google to go to a site, then use an app to find some data, then go back to Google to carry on and it reloads the home page!

Every time, for everything!

I’ve searched for tips and nothing helps.

I cannot believe Apple is not aware of this.

Please tell me how to end this nightmare.

Thank you.

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 11:33 AM

That is entirely up to the design of the app. iOS manages memory usage by informing suspended background apps that they will be terminated when more free memory is needed by the current foreground app. A well written app is supposed to store its state so that it can resume exactly where it left off. Many apps developers do not implement this behavior.

Safari remembers the URLs in your open tabs. If iOS terminates Safari, or the metadata on a page indicates that it is expired when Safari has resumed, then it will reload the URLs in your tabs as you visit them.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2023 11:33 AM in response to Didcotman

That is entirely up to the design of the app. iOS manages memory usage by informing suspended background apps that they will be terminated when more free memory is needed by the current foreground app. A well written app is supposed to store its state so that it can resume exactly where it left off. Many apps developers do not implement this behavior.

Safari remembers the URLs in your open tabs. If iOS terminates Safari, or the metadata on a page indicates that it is expired when Safari has resumed, then it will reload the URLs in your tabs as you visit them.

Jan 28, 2023 8:21 AM in response to Didcotman

Every time I switch from one app to another, and back again, they refresh and I lose where I was and everything I’d entered up to that point.

Use the App Switcher, see the following Apple articles:

Switch between open apps on iPhone

Switch between open apps on iPhone – Apple Support (UK)

Switch apps on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

Switch apps on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support (UK)

Jan 28, 2023 8:24 AM in response to Didcotman

When you switch apps, do you kill the app you are leaving by swiping up on it in the app switcher? If you are doing this that is what is causing your problem, because swiping up kills the app RIGHT NOW without giving it a chance to save its current context. In general you should NEVER kill apps this way unless they aren’t working correctly.

How do I stop apps from refreshing when I switch between them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.