Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone steps not showing up in fitness app

Hi -

I am still trying to solve the underdesk treadmill problem. Apple Watch doesn’t capture steps while I’m typing. And the app that came w the walking pad vastly overestimates.

So keeping my iPhone in my pocket seems to be the best solution. The steps are showing up in the health app but not the fitness app. How do I get them to show up in fitness so I get “credit” in my circles? And the steps are accounted for in total calorie burn?

tia!

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 12:53 PM

Thank you - yes I’m wearing Apple Watch but it doesn’t capture steps if my arm isn’t moving - which it isn’t if I’m working while walking. The fitness app (rings) is an Apple Watch feature right? So I’m trying to understand how I get that to include the steps from my iPhone since watch not picking up steps accurately or consistently in this scenario. Let me know if I’ve posted in the wrong place - ty!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2023 12:53 PM in response to LD150

Thank you - yes I’m wearing Apple Watch but it doesn’t capture steps if my arm isn’t moving - which it isn’t if I’m working while walking. The fitness app (rings) is an Apple Watch feature right? So I’m trying to understand how I get that to include the steps from my iPhone since watch not picking up steps accurately or consistently in this scenario. Let me know if I’ve posted in the wrong place - ty!

Jan 28, 2023 12:58 PM in response to reardonke

If you imagine a stationary cycle (indoor cycle) your wrist and the watch will not move but it will measure your heart rate .

If you tell it that you started an indoor cycle workout it will start to measure heart rate, time, and from your body dimensions, sex and age do a calculation of calories for the red and possibly green rings. It cannot easily increment the step count without positional movement such as around the house or walking.

iPhone steps not showing up in fitness app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.