Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo quality

how does storing smaller size versions of photos on my phone ( full resolution on iCloud) affect the quality of my images?

when I share photos does the full res photo send?

Is it possible to only send older images to iCloud and keep newer on my phone?

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 3:07 PM

Hello Dls—

If Optimize iPhone Storage is enabled for Photos, then the original quality will always be stored safely in iCloud.

A slightly scaled down version will stay local on your iPhone until you open the image - or share it. Then it will be the original version that you see and that you share.

It is not possible to determine which images from the Photo app are uploaded to iCloud and which should remain locally in the iPhone.

Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2023 3:07 PM in response to Dls—

Hello Dls—

If Optimize iPhone Storage is enabled for Photos, then the original quality will always be stored safely in iCloud.

A slightly scaled down version will stay local on your iPhone until you open the image - or share it. Then it will be the original version that you see and that you share.

It is not possible to determine which images from the Photo app are uploaded to iCloud and which should remain locally in the iPhone.

Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

Photo quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.