Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer a used iPad

I want to transfer my un-used iPad to a spouse. I followed the instructions on cleaning before transfer but I am not sure, is there a way I could verify if the iPad is completely erased before I transfer. My spouse has a iPhone and a I cloud account, and we are both sharing on our account.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 10:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 3:46 AM

Are you sharing an AppleID?

If all your devices are sharing a common AppleID for iCloud, you’ll encounter all kinds of issues with unintentional and/or unwanted sharing of sensitive/private information (including account Passwords). You’ll not be able to reliably maintain any kind of data separation.

The Golden Rule: Don’t share an AppleID between users. Each user should have their own AppleID for their own exclusive use - linked to their own primary email (and secondary/recovery email addresses and trusted telephone numbers). 

You would be best advised to separate your digital identities and configure a new AppleID for your spouse.

After separating your identities, you can continue to selectively share purchased Apple Services, Subscriptions, Apps and Media using Apple’s Family Sharing features - should you choose to do so:

Family Sharing - Apple

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

Share App Store, iTunes Store and Apple Books purchases with Family Sharing – Apple Support

How to create a new Apple ID – Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-set-up-family-sharing-iphone-ipad

Before transferring the iPad to a new user, the iPad must be properly prepared. This procedure will fully erase the iPad, removing both sensitive information and the Activation Lock that will otherwise cause difficulties for the new user:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Once prepared, the new owner can set-up the iPad “as new” from the initial “hello” screen - creating a new AppleID account if necessary.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2023 3:46 AM in response to placidus224

Are you sharing an AppleID?

If all your devices are sharing a common AppleID for iCloud, you’ll encounter all kinds of issues with unintentional and/or unwanted sharing of sensitive/private information (including account Passwords). You’ll not be able to reliably maintain any kind of data separation.

The Golden Rule: Don’t share an AppleID between users. Each user should have their own AppleID for their own exclusive use - linked to their own primary email (and secondary/recovery email addresses and trusted telephone numbers). 

You would be best advised to separate your digital identities and configure a new AppleID for your spouse.

After separating your identities, you can continue to selectively share purchased Apple Services, Subscriptions, Apps and Media using Apple’s Family Sharing features - should you choose to do so:

Family Sharing - Apple

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

Share App Store, iTunes Store and Apple Books purchases with Family Sharing – Apple Support

How to create a new Apple ID – Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-set-up-family-sharing-iphone-ipad

Before transferring the iPad to a new user, the iPad must be properly prepared. This procedure will fully erase the iPad, removing both sensitive information and the Activation Lock that will otherwise cause difficulties for the new user:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Once prepared, the new owner can set-up the iPad “as new” from the initial “hello” screen - creating a new AppleID account if necessary.

How to transfer a used iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.