Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop creation of unwanted folder upon export from Photos

Apple Photos, v.8; Ventura 13.1

My wife and I have an identical iMac M1 with identical configuration.

When she exports a photo from  Photos to the Desktop, a folder with date of photo is created containing the exported photo. This does not occur on my Mac, and we don't want that to happen on hers either.

Just an hour ago, I exported ten photos from her Mac to a folder I had made on her desktop. After export, the folder contained ten folders, each with one photo. On my Mac just the folder I created myself, containing ten photos.

How can we avoid this extra folder? I cannot seem to find a setting I can switch off.

iMac 24″

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 4:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 8:03 AM

What were the folders titled? Was it place, date, like this?

If so, then she may have the Subfolder set to Moment Name in the Export nn Photos dialog:

This can be handy if you want to export a whole bunch of pictures taken at different places and dates. But it can be really confusing if you do it accidentally. If this is it, she can re-set it to "none"

Let us know if this is the problem, or if it's something else...

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2023 8:03 AM in response to lescornwell

What were the folders titled? Was it place, date, like this?

If so, then she may have the Subfolder set to Moment Name in the Export nn Photos dialog:

This can be handy if you want to export a whole bunch of pictures taken at different places and dates. But it can be really confusing if you do it accidentally. If this is it, she can re-set it to "none"

Let us know if this is the problem, or if it's something else...

Jan 29, 2023 1:51 PM in response to Richard.Taylor

The 'Subfolder Format' was 'Moment Name', which resulted -on my wife's Mac- into a folder named '27 December 2022', date on which the exported photo was made.

Now no more folders, just the exported files (if there are more files to be exported, we tend to create a new folder, either before export (outside of Photos) or during export from Photos by pressing the <New Folder> button during export.

How to stop creation of unwanted folder upon export from Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.