Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 6 battery drain

My Apple Watch 6 has very recently - within the last month - been experiencing rapid battery drain. Prior to this past month, my battery would last a day and a half - depending upon use - before a charge. Now, some days the battery does not last 24 hours. After reading numerous discussions, I found that if I unpaired and re-paired my watch from my phone, it would function properly. However, this solution lasted only 2 weeks. I unpaired and re-paired again and it went back to functioning properly. I am now at another 2 weeks and my battery has not lasted 24 hours.

My use has not changed in these two weeks - I use the Workout app daily but do not use my watch for music, calls, or any other high-battery-drain feature.

Is this a software issue or a hardware issue or neither? I don't want to upgrade my watch if it's a software issue.

Apple Watch Series 6 (cellular + WiFi), watchOS 9.3 paired with iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16.3

Apple Watch Series 6

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 8:02 AM

Actually, the watch uses its own GPS. I do the 3 mile walks, and I use an app on my iPhone (out of habit--it's from before I had the watch) that tracks me, as well. The GPS's work independently. (They consistently differ by about 3%-- weird.)

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 29, 2023 11:35 AM in response to Swamp Troll

My Series 6 battery life hasn't changed with the any of the OS updates. Apple says the battery should last 18 hours, and mine does that. Using GPS during workouts is one of the big power drains for the watch.

If you charge the watch to 100% at night, turn it off, and check in the morning, it shouldn't have lost much charge. If it does, you may need to take it to Apple.

Jan 31, 2023 5:34 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

I charged my watch to 100% before bed, turned it off, and turned it back on in the morning. It was 100%. The battery obviously is not the problem. Thanks for the suggestion. While I am not rolling out a hardware problem, it does appear that it’s likely a software issue.

By the way, the workout I most often do is outdoor walking. I always have my phone with me so GPS is not the culprit.

Apple Watch 6 battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.