Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does closing apps on an iPhone damage the device's battery?

I have a habit of closing apps because it drives me crazy to see a whole line of apps when I want to quit one. Especially with Spotify because it keeps showing the music I was listening to on my main screen. But, someone recently told me that this is bad for the device's battery, so I want to know how it affects and if it is severe.

iPhone 13

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 9:20 AM

I don't know how bad it is but Apple's recommendation is to not close apps unless they are unresponsive. See the following from Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

You should close an app only if it’s unresponsive. 

I occasionally close an app that is responsive if it isn't working normally.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2023 9:20 AM in response to isabelcascabel

I don't know how bad it is but Apple's recommendation is to not close apps unless they are unresponsive. See the following from Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

You should close an app only if it’s unresponsive. 

I occasionally close an app that is responsive if it isn't working normally.

Jan 29, 2023 9:27 AM in response to isabelcascabel

If you close an app, it takes a bit more battery power to open it up again than it does to simply leave the app alone. How "bad" that is.....is open to question. If it were "really bad", I imagine that Apple would make you jump through hoops to close an app.

Apple's recommendation is to close an app if you are having problems with the app and you need to restart the app

Does closing apps on an iPhone damage the device's battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.