Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

receive all text messages on iphone only

I want to receive all notifications for and text messages on my iPhone only. Basically just as though the Messages app wasn't even installed on the MacBook or iPad at all. Often the MacBook is open with the phone a few feet away, somehow the notification appears on the laptop but not the phone so I'll miss it for a while. I use the phone for texting exclusively and need this behavior to stop.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 12:58 PM

Hopefully you realize there are two very different types of messages.

What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS? - Apple Support

SMS/MMS messages can be restricted to your iPhone by doing Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding = “off” on the iPhone. iMessages can be turned off on your Mac in Messages > Settings.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2023 12:58 PM in response to LabTech 4

Hopefully you realize there are two very different types of messages.

What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS? - Apple Support

SMS/MMS messages can be restricted to your iPhone by doing Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding = “off” on the iPhone. iMessages can be turned off on your Mac in Messages > Settings.

Jan 30, 2023 10:43 AM in response to sberman

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately for me it is not obvious that there is a difference. Messages are messages to me no matter the device and the whole iThis and iThat branding is only more confounding. So thank you in particular for the concise instructions on where to find the appropriate adjustments! In fact, as I type this, every thing is working just the way I wanted.

receive all text messages on iphone only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.