Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bold text in Notes

I have Ventura 13.1 on my Mac. Since said release, I am unable to BOLD text in Notes. Can in other apps. Normally I would use Command button with the B button. But that doesn't work in Notes.

I've then tried selecting the word(s) to apply the format to, go to Format, go to Fonts, to Show Fonts, and select a font that allows for bold and click on the bold option - and nothing happens. Underline and strike through works, but not bold. Any suggestions - besides hitting it with a stick?

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 12:48 PM

Hello Madeline,

Let's use the applicable set of steps below to boot into safe mode to see if that behavior persists from there:

How to use safe mode
Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:

Apple silicon
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

Intel processor
1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window.

You can also find those steps in this resource: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

It can take a few extra minutes to boot into safe mode. Your screen may flash or flicker while in safe mode. Those behaviors are expected. Testing in safe mode runs a check on your disk, removes some cached files, and can help isolate conflicts with startup items. Once you've tested that behavior in safe mode, you can restart to leave safe mode.

Should that behavior still persist, do you experience the same behavior with a newly created note?

Do you sync your notes with any other devices? If so, are you experiencing the same behavior with your other devices?

Let us know, and we'll take further steps based on those details.

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2023 12:48 PM in response to Madeline

Hello Madeline,

Let's use the applicable set of steps below to boot into safe mode to see if that behavior persists from there:

How to use safe mode
Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:

Apple silicon
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

Intel processor
1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window.

You can also find those steps in this resource: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

It can take a few extra minutes to boot into safe mode. Your screen may flash or flicker while in safe mode. Those behaviors are expected. Testing in safe mode runs a check on your disk, removes some cached files, and can help isolate conflicts with startup items. Once you've tested that behavior in safe mode, you can restart to leave safe mode.

Should that behavior still persist, do you experience the same behavior with a newly created note?

Do you sync your notes with any other devices? If so, are you experiencing the same behavior with your other devices?

Let us know, and we'll take further steps based on those details.

Take care.

Jan 31, 2023 2:24 PM in response to chuckbl

CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!! It worked! I am so saving these instructions in my Documents. Cannot thank you enough. Actually can, but you get the idea. Who would have thought. Months I've dealt with this issue; searching Google for anything even close to this prob. and I could have just asked THE COMMUNITY and solved this annoying problem. Nice. Really really nice. Thank you.

Bold text in Notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.