Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Get Rid of Small Floating Keyboard - Pinch or Drag won’t work & Hard Reset works only for a while

Arrugh … this is driving me insane! iPad suddenly switches to mall keyboard. Dragging to the bottom oD the screen does not work, the pinching thing does not work. I do a hard reset by holding th home button and sleep awake. When it comes back up the small jokey baord doesn’t show up for about a day then it comes back again. I am ready to throw this out a window. HELLLLP!

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 4:40 PM

3 replies

Jan 31, 2023 1:37 PM in response to mikeymac15

Hello mikeymac15,

To start, you'll want to add more specific detail to your post. When you touch and hold on the gray line at the bottom of the keyboard and then drag it towards the bottom of the screen, what is not working? Is the keyboard not moving when you start sliding your finger down? Does it slide down towards the bottom of the screen but then doesn't expand when you hold it at the bottom? Etc.

Use the floating keyboard on your iPad

In the meantime, if you currently have any 3rd party keyboards installed on the device try removing them and using the built in keyboard. Then see if you can move/resize that one.

Add or change keyboards on iPad

Cheers!

Feb 2, 2023 8:55 AM in response to mikeymac15

mikeymac15,

It shouldn't be going to the floating keyboard every time the iPad restarts or after a while.

Other than the keyboard, does any other issues happen with the iPad screen itself? We want to rule out any hardware concerns. If it does, then it might be an issue with the screen being too sensitive to touch. You can try Touch Accommodations to see if they help: Use Touch Accommodations with your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple Watch - Apple Support

1. Go to Settings, then select Accessibility.
2. Select Touch, then select Touch Accommodations.

If it's not happening anywhere else and just the keyboard or you still have issues, the next best thing would be to reach out to Apple directly so they can look into the issue further with you: Get Support

Take care.

Feb 2, 2023 8:41 AM in response to Jaym_8

Oh gosh … yes, are right … I didn’t detail this enough. I am able to pull the keyboard down but When I pull the floating keyboard to the bottom of the screen it too does nothing. Just keeps floating with no expansion. I have no 3rd party keyboard attached and have only ever used the on-screen keyboard.

Of course, Murphy’s Law is the last few days the smaller keyboard has not shown up at all but when it does, I just can’t get rid of it without doing a hard reset and sometimes then it still shows up immediately afterwards. I wish Apple would just give us the option to shut the **** thing off. It supposed to be there to “help” us … yeah, in my opinion, this one was a fail in that regard. Thanks to all who might be able to give some more thoughts to why this is happening. 😊

Get Rid of Small Floating Keyboard - Pinch or Drag won’t work & Hard Reset works only for a while

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.