Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud message backup transfer

I currently have my text/imessages backing up via iCloud

I also have my iPhone synced to iMessage on my Mac so I get my incoming messages on that device as well

Just want to confirm if I turn off messages to be backed up in iCloud and delete my messages from iCloud as well, will I there be any issue with new messages going to iMessage on my Mac

Thinking about specifically if I get a new phone and I want to move my old messages to the new device, I know I can send the messages from my mac to the new device but want to make sure that my mac would have the most up to date message history, appreciate any insight here!

iPhone X, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 2:24 PM

Hello Mancuso_f_24,

Thank you for posting to Apple Support Communities.

We're happy to help. We understand you'd like to move your old messages to your new device. Enabling iCloud for Messages is the easiest way to do this as iCloud would sync the messages between your devices. This article can explain how to do this: Set up iCloud for Messages on all your devices - Apple Support

If you disable iCloud for Messages, you'd need to enable text message forwarding to forward SMS/MMS messages to your Mac: Forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your Mac or iPad - Apple Support

If you'd like to move messages to the new device, utilizing Messages in iCloud is a really good choice. You can also restore from an iCloud or iTunes backup if iCloud for Messages is disabled. If ICloud for Messages is disabled, this would restore messages that were in the Messages app at the date of your backup. This article explains the restore process: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

That should help.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2023 2:24 PM in response to Mancuso_f_24

Hello Mancuso_f_24,

Thank you for posting to Apple Support Communities.

We're happy to help. We understand you'd like to move your old messages to your new device. Enabling iCloud for Messages is the easiest way to do this as iCloud would sync the messages between your devices. This article can explain how to do this: Set up iCloud for Messages on all your devices - Apple Support

If you disable iCloud for Messages, you'd need to enable text message forwarding to forward SMS/MMS messages to your Mac: Forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your Mac or iPad - Apple Support

If you'd like to move messages to the new device, utilizing Messages in iCloud is a really good choice. You can also restore from an iCloud or iTunes backup if iCloud for Messages is disabled. If ICloud for Messages is disabled, this would restore messages that were in the Messages app at the date of your backup. This article explains the restore process: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

That should help.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Take care.

iCloud message backup transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.