Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find if albums have missing tracks

Having got into a right pickle trying to organize my Library, I now keep finding albums that have one or more tracks missing. Is there a way of finding all missing tracks so that I know which ones to import from backups, please?

When I say they are missing, there is no entry in iTunes at all for those tracks/songs.

It strikes me that if iTunes knows that there are, say, 11 tracks to that album, it should be possible to get iTunes to count how many are actually there. Wishful thinking?

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 3:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 1:57 PM

Coaster750 wrote:

It strikes me that if iTunes knows that there are, say, 11 tracks to that album, it should be possible to get iTunes to count how many are actually there. Wishful thinking?

Well... not quite, but there are a couple of indicators or methods, dependant upon why the song is now missing.

First of all though, why are they missing, because iTunes is not in the habit of deleting songs unless you tell it to, or of losing songs unless you or another programme renames, moves or deletes the file or the path to the file?

• no entry at all for the song: presumably, you deleted the entry (it wasn't iTunes). In this case, you should be able to find the file for the missing song in the appropriate folder on your computer. See below
    • the entry for the song is there, but it doesn't play and an exclamation mark appears next to the title

You can check the album as follows:

• in the Songs View, you can select the album and look at the Track No. column (see screenshot below) and compare it with the Status Bar number shown:

• in the screenshot, notice that a specific album is selected (in the Albums column)
  • the Track No. column states x of 10 for each track (ignore the fact that the track numbers are not in numeric order - that is not unusual). This field is not always completed (dependant upon where the album came from), but in this case, the fact that every track says "of 10" suggests that the full album has 10 tracks
  • the Status Bar says that the selected album contains 10 items. From this, we can see that this album has all ten songs listed in iTunes. None of them have an exclamation mark to the left of the title and more importantly, if I play each one, they all play
  • this album appears to be complete
  • using the album I've shown here as an example; if the number of items is less than the "of 10" figure, that indicates that some songs are missing. However, if you only purchased some but not all the songs, or you only ripped some but not all the songs from the CD, the total tracks number would still say 10, so you would be misled by the numbers

Finding missing songs:

1. If there is an entry for the song, but iTunes can no longer find the file for the song, then when you try to play that song (or sync it to a device) an exclamation mark will appear next to the song's title. In this event, it's the exclamation mark or a message at Sync time that lets you know that songs are missing
    1. this can happen if the name of the file or the path to it has been changed (and it isn't iTunes that does this) or if the file has been moved or deleted (again, it isn't iTunes that will have done this). In this case, you have to determine what was done and you have to fix it (that is, either rename the file back to its original name, move it back to where it should be or undo the delete). Once fixed, if you then try playing the song iTunes should manage this and the problem will be fixed for that song. See the screenshot at the bottom of this post that shows finding the menu
  2. If the entry for the song is no longer in iTunes, use one of the other tracks on the album to find the location for the files on the album: right-click a song and choose Open in Windows Explorer. This opens the folder with that song in it. A song's filename is usually recognisable, such as <song title> or <artist-song title>. In theory, the file for every song on that album should be there. It is possible to use another method here, but let's do one thing at a time
    1. if you can see the missing song's file, return to your iTunes Library and using iTunes' top bar menu, click on File/Add Song to Library. Navigate to the folder with the file, select it and click on the Open button. This adds the song to the library
    2. If the file is not there, because you deleted it, look for the file in Windows's Recycle Bin. If you find it, right-click it and choose Restore, which puts the file back where it was. If the file is no longer in the Recycle Bin (which auto-deletes items after a set period), then you will have to go back to your original source for the file

You may need additional help once you have identified the cause of the problem. If so, please ask. Once the common cause is known, we can provide any additional information needed to add them back into your library.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2023 1:57 PM in response to Coaster750

Coaster750 wrote:

Well... not quite, but there are a couple of indicators or methods, dependant upon why the song is now missing.

First of all though, why are they missing, because iTunes is not in the habit of deleting songs unless you tell it to, or of losing songs unless you or another programme renames, moves or deletes the file or the path to the file?

• no entry at all for the song: presumably, you deleted the entry (it wasn't iTunes). In this case, you should be able to find the file for the missing song in the appropriate folder on your computer. See below
    • the entry for the song is there, but it doesn't play and an exclamation mark appears next to the title

You can check the album as follows:

• in the Songs View, you can select the album and look at the Track No. column (see screenshot below) and compare it with the Status Bar number shown:

• in the screenshot, notice that a specific album is selected (in the Albums column)
  • the Track No. column states x of 10 for each track (ignore the fact that the track numbers are not in numeric order - that is not unusual). This field is not always completed (dependant upon where the album came from), but in this case, the fact that every track says "of 10" suggests that the full album has 10 tracks
  • the Status Bar says that the selected album contains 10 items. From this, we can see that this album has all ten songs listed in iTunes. None of them have an exclamation mark to the left of the title and more importantly, if I play each one, they all play
  • this album appears to be complete
  • using the album I've shown here as an example; if the number of items is less than the "of 10" figure, that indicates that some songs are missing. However, if you only purchased some but not all the songs, or you only ripped some but not all the songs from the CD, the total tracks number would still say 10, so you would be misled by the numbers

Finding missing songs:

1. If there is an entry for the song, but iTunes can no longer find the file for the song, then when you try to play that song (or sync it to a device) an exclamation mark will appear next to the song's title. In this event, it's the exclamation mark or a message at Sync time that lets you know that songs are missing
    1. this can happen if the name of the file or the path to it has been changed (and it isn't iTunes that does this) or if the file has been moved or deleted (again, it isn't iTunes that will have done this). In this case, you have to determine what was done and you have to fix it (that is, either rename the file back to its original name, move it back to where it should be or undo the delete). Once fixed, if you then try playing the song iTunes should manage this and the problem will be fixed for that song. See the screenshot at the bottom of this post that shows finding the menu
  2. If the entry for the song is no longer in iTunes, use one of the other tracks on the album to find the location for the files on the album: right-click a song and choose Open in Windows Explorer. This opens the folder with that song in it. A song's filename is usually recognisable, such as <song title> or <artist-song title>. In theory, the file for every song on that album should be there. It is possible to use another method here, but let's do one thing at a time
    1. if you can see the missing song's file, return to your iTunes Library and using iTunes' top bar menu, click on File/Add Song to Library. Navigate to the folder with the file, select it and click on the Open button. This adds the song to the library
    2. If the file is not there, because you deleted it, look for the file in Windows's Recycle Bin. If you find it, right-click it and choose Restore, which puts the file back where it was. If the file is no longer in the Recycle Bin (which auto-deletes items after a set period), then you will have to go back to your original source for the file

You may need additional help once you have identified the cause of the problem. If so, please ask. Once the common cause is known, we can provide any additional information needed to add them back into your library.

Jan 31, 2023 5:18 AM in response to the fiend

Thank you for the very full reply.

I've had a lot of trouble (as yet unresolved) with my iTunes Media folder reverting to my Diskstation as soon as the Diskstation is online. The result of my messing about to prevent this from happening has been lots of efforts at consolidation and duplicate finding. I don't profess to be an expert in all of this but the result has been quite a few missing entries and files. For example, the other day I found a CD of Beethoven's Violin Sonatas, lost tracks 6 to 11 both as missing iTunes entries and mp3 files. I copied the mp3 files over from my Diskstation (without iTunes running), unplugged the Diskstation from the network, and then imported the files.

(FYI: There are no "orphaned" iTunes entries - i.e. missing mp3 files but with an entry in the iTunes database.)

The reason for my post was that I have over 2,700 albums in iTunes and manually going through each one to check if all the individual tracks are there doesn't fill me with excitement. A handful of albums have never had all the tracks - where I have only downloaded a specific "song". The vast majority though are ripped from CD's in their entirety.

I think I may resort to exporting (copy and paste the song info) into Excel and then run some magic to tell me which albums have missing tracks.

I'll keep you posted.

Feb 1, 2023 2:22 AM in response to Coaster750

A quick update.

My Excel exercise last night resulted in finding 40 missing entries for tracks. Five albums had multiple tracks missing; the remaining 23 albums had just one entry missing. There were a similar number of duplicate track names but I did not count them as I deleted the duplicates in iTunes as I went. Not sure yet if there were duplicate mp3 files as I didn't check as I went. I'll run a duplicate file finder later but should have checked as I went really.

I now just need to find the missing mp3 files on my backup or re-rip them from the CDs.

Find if albums have missing tracks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.