Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music Files Appearing as Kind = PDF

@dunderhead had this issue in 2022 and never got it fixed.

Any ideas? Some albums list in Apple Music type as PDF - the song plays fine but will not import into other apps as it is considered invalid format. (In this case ROON)

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 11:32 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jan 30, 2023 2:01 PM in response to Peter Ryan

What is the file extension for these files in Finder?

Ah, I've found the thread you're referring to: Music Files Appearing as Kind = PDF - Apple Community. As I asked there do you have Time Machine or similar that might be used to revert to an older version of your library? Media kind ought to be inferred from file extension. How many items are affected? Are these tracks from CD rips/downloads, etc. or from iTunes/Apple? I.e. is redownloading a possibility?

tt2

Feb 1, 2023 9:00 AM in response to turingtest2

here is the fix that ended up working - very close to your recommendations - so thank you!

My basic thought is that you should make a full backup of your Music Library, export your playlists, quit the Music app, move the original music files out of the Music Library folder, delete the Music Library folder, then launch Music and have it create a new Music Library and have it import (and copy) the music. Then delete the original music files folder (if you don't have storage).

Music Files Appearing as Kind = PDF

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.