Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove an external backup drive from Time Machine in OS Ventura

How to I remove a backup drive from Time Machine. I want to use it to store photos.

I did the forget Destination removal--But now cannot add anything to the external drive.

Can I remove it completely and start fresh as a basic backup drive?

I have Ventura

iMac, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 12:35 PM

FYI, Time Machine creates a unique container (what used to be called partitions) on a dedicated TM backup drive. If you want to repurpose this drive for file storage, all you should need to do is reformat it.

You can do this simply by using the Disk Utility. In the utility, if not already, change View to: Show All Devices. Then select the top item (which should be the physical drive). Double-check that this is your external drive, and then, select Erase. Select APFS for Format, and GUID Partition Map for scheme. (Note: I'm assuming that this drive is a SSD. If it is an HDD, then you will want to choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for Format.)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2023 12:35 PM in response to Grandmadaisey

FYI, Time Machine creates a unique container (what used to be called partitions) on a dedicated TM backup drive. If you want to repurpose this drive for file storage, all you should need to do is reformat it.

You can do this simply by using the Disk Utility. In the utility, if not already, change View to: Show All Devices. Then select the top item (which should be the physical drive). Double-check that this is your external drive, and then, select Erase. Select APFS for Format, and GUID Partition Map for scheme. (Note: I'm assuming that this drive is a SSD. If it is an HDD, then you will want to choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for Format.)

Remove an external backup drive from Time Machine in OS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.