Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SuperDrive not recognized by new MacBook Air

When I connect my SuperDrive to a USB hub, my MacBook Air will not recognize the drive. It tells me to plug it directly into a USB port on my machine, but as my machine does not have that kind of port, I can't do so. How am I supposed to use this now?

MacBook Air, macOS 13.2

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 2:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 2:45 PM

Use an adaptor as suggested in the support document you posted from, or a self powered HUB.

The drive requires more power, than most un-powered hubs can provide, so need to be connected directly to the Mac or through a hub that has its own power source connected to a wall socket.

4 replies

Jan 30, 2023 4:19 PM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124 wrote:

so need to be connected directly to the Mac or through a hub that has its own power source connected to a wall socket.

actually, most powered hubs will not work either. OWC sells one that they claim works with the superdrive, but other than that one, I haven't seen any others. I even tried to use my superdrive through my externally powered hub as a test, and it didn't work. with an M1 Mac, you need to use an USB-C to USB Adapter to connect it directly. and there are also some reports of 3rd party USB-C to USB adapters not working.

Jan 31, 2023 8:16 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

jeffreythefrog wrote:

Phil0124 wrote:

so need to be connected directly to the Mac or through a hub that has its own power source connected to a wall socket.
actually, most powered hubs will not work either. OWC sells one that they claim works with the superdrive, but other than that one, I haven't seen any others. I even tried to use my superdrive through my externally powered hub as a test, and it didn't work. with an M1 Mac, you need to use an USB-C to USB Adapter to connect it directly. and there are also some reports of 3rd party USB-C to USB adapters not working.

Thanks for the info.

I use a Nov8Tech hub with a USB-C power source, and a 3rd party drive and it works o.k on my M1 Mac.

Still, it may be a case of YMV and maybe require testing a couple of different hubs to get one that works.

SuperDrive not recognized by new MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.