Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BT Openzone keeps logging me out

Ever since I got my iPhone, I've had trouble using BT Openzone. BT Openzone keeps logging me out and bringing up a login page in Safari, even if I stop using it for only several minutes but stay on the hotspot. I've spoken to Orange and BT, but although they admit there must be a fault, they haven't resolved it. I understand that I need to log in once to BT Openzone using my mobile number and password that Orange give me, and then BT Openzone is supposed to remember my iPhone's MAC address indefinitely if I subsequently connect to any BT Openzone hotspot. The password that Orange issued me (which I can't change) is not designed for repeated use, as it can't be easily remembered or typed. What could be causing this, and should it be Orange or BT whom I pressure to resolve it?

iPhone 4, iOS 4, Orange UK

Posted on Aug 16, 2010 12:25 PM

13 replies

Aug 17, 2010 12:16 PM in response to PAWY

PAWY wrote:
I had the same problem with BTOpenzone. I resolved it my just turning the option Settings/Wi-fi/'Ask to Join Networks' to OFF.

Thanks for the reply. However, clearly the problem is server-side rather than client-side, given that returning clients are recognised through their MAC address rather than any client-side settings that a wireless network is unable to interrogate. Therefore I did not expect the advice of changing client-side settings to work, and it didn't when I tried it.

BT Openzone today told me that when I log into BT Openzone, they transmit my MAC address to Orange for authentication. If Orange doesn't validate my MAC address immeditely, then the login page is presented in the browser for me to enter my user ID and password, which is likewise transmitted to Orange for authentication. BT are blaming this failure to recognise my MAC address on Orange. Are they right?

Sep 1, 2010 4:38 AM in response to NFH.

I am getting same issues

iPhone4, on Orange iOS 4.0.1

I sit very very close to BTOpenZone hotspot at work.
Other guys at work hav O2 iPhone 4's on 4.0.1 and have no problems.
Grrrr.

There is a BT FON app for iPhone on the Appstore, which I have had some sucess with. I am unable to get it to log me in (boo) but I can get it to log me out of OpenZone when logged in. I havebeen told that I can login with phonenumber@btopenzone.com and my password - but it does not work. If we could work out the login details for Orange - might be a work-around to use this app ?

Message was edited by: Izakbar

Sep 1, 2010 5:23 AM in response to Izakbar

Izakbar wrote:
If we could work out the login details for Orange - might be a work-around to use this app ?

Having to log in manually every time you visit a BT Openzone hotspot is impractical however you do it. It means that as you walk around any urban area in the UK, as soon as your iPhone sees a BT Openzone wireless network, it will connect to it, but until you authenticate manually, your iPhone will lose all internet connectivity. You may or may not know that this has happened, so until you realise this, you won't receive any e-mails and any other background apps (e.g. Skype) that you may be using will suddenly lose their connectivity. The whole point of BT Openzone on the iPhone is that it is supposed to be seamless between 3G and the hotspot with no loss of internet connectivity.

Sep 1, 2010 6:54 AM in response to NFH.

Agreed it is impractical, however at present I am having to login to BTO constantly through the day - entering my Number and password (which as you know is pretty random). Basically, BTO is mostly un-usable for me the way it is.
What is quite frustrating is that the wifi icon is there, just no internet - so iPhone does not seem to attempt 3G traffic as it has wifi.

Sep 1, 2010 12:17 PM in response to Izakbar

Izakbar wrote:
Basically, BTO is mostly un-usable for me the way it is.

Have you reported the matter to Apple and Orange? The only way to fix it is if as many users as possible report it so that Apple and Orange can identify the common factors that are causing it. Phone 0800 0480408 and say "Technical Support" at the prompt.

I get the impression that the majority of Orange customers do not use their included BT Openzone access, and therefore there are probably many more potential users who would experience this bug if they tried to use it. Many users may be suffering the inconvenience of logging in every time without realising that it is meant to remember them.

Sep 4, 2010 12:20 PM in response to Izakbar

Izakbar wrote:
There is a BT FON app for iPhone on the Appstore, which I have had some sucess with.

Changing the topic slightly, I have a Fon router at home just so that I can use any Fon wireless network worldwide with a user ID and password. I bought it for €5 before BT ever got involved. I've tried out this new BT FON iPhone app, but very strangely, it will only log me into a non-BT Fon hotspot (e.g. mine) and none of the now more prevalent BT Fon hotspots (all SSID=BTFON). For the latter, it tells me that my user ID and password are incorrect. However, I can log into BT Fon hotspots through a browser successfully.

Dec 1, 2010 12:29 PM in response to NFH.

Can anyone confirm whether the iPhone 3GS worked properly on BT Openzone with Orange before iOS4 was released? It seems odd that although Orange launched the iPhone in November 2009, there were no complaints about this problem until the iPhone 4 and iOS4 were released in June 2010. This suggests that Orange didn't test their authentication mechanism with iOS4 before it was released.

There's now a Facebook group about this problem (not set up by me) at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_167405839946188

Dec 9, 2010 6:30 AM in response to NFH.

I have the same problem also, Every time my iPhone brings up the login screen for Open-zones, i select my service provider (Orange) and it fails to load or log me in every time. There is no option at all for me to physically input my username or password. I know this is done automatically.

I discussed this with Orange and BT a few weeks ago, and they told me that they are now hopefully trying to get this problem resolved along with everything else!! But this could take up to 2months, maybe even 3.

PAH!

Dec 14, 2010 4:56 PM in response to PAWY

I think that most people who have been browsing this forum or are having the same trouble as myself and NHF are. they would have already tried this! Sorry to put it so bluntly but if you read the rest of the posts on here, the main issue is not with the actual iPhone itself, it is to ether with Orange or BT. Hope that makes sense.

BT Openzone keeps logging me out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.