Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Display too dark for movies

I just replaced an older Macbook Pro with a new Macbook M1 Pro. Netflix movies displayed fine on the older machine (and also on my older iMac) but they are too dark on the new Macbook M1 Pro. The new machine is running Ventura and all of the display options have been tried with no success. The previously suggested solutions for this same topic don't apply to the newer machines with the M1 chip.

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 7:47 AM

vfischer wrote:

I just replaced an older Macbook Pro with a new Macbook M1 Pro. Netflix movies displayed fine on the older machine (and also on my older iMac) but they are too dark on the new Macbook M1 Pro. The new machine is running Ventura and all of the display options have been tried with no success. The previously suggested solutions for this same topic don't apply to the newer machines with the M1 chip.

Did you make any changes— and compare your results..

for example turn off true tone(?)

>System Settings>Display...(?)

>System Settings>Accessibility>Display...(?)

ref: Change your Mac display's brightness - Apple Support

Change Display settings for accessibility on Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2023 7:47 AM in response to vfischer

vfischer wrote:

Did you make any changes— and compare your results..

for example turn off true tone(?)

>System Settings>Display...(?)

>System Settings>Accessibility>Display...(?)

ref: Change your Mac display's brightness - Apple Support

Change Display settings for accessibility on Mac - Apple Support

Jan 31, 2023 9:44 AM in response to leroydouglas

In accessibility, the display options are all greyed out. The display section is presented differently than what you show. Perhaps this is related to the MacOS being Ventura? In the photo below, for the Digital Cinema option, the brightness and automatic brightness settings are greyed out. For other options such as HDX, etc, the brightness can be adjusted but doesn't have much impact on the Netflix brightness. The problem shows up mostly in night scenes where details are simply black or nearly so.

Jan 31, 2023 10:31 AM in response to vfischer

vfischer wrote:

In accessibility, the display options are all greyed out. The display section is presented differently than what you show. Perhaps this is related to the MacOS being Ventura? In the photo below, for the Digital Cinema option, the brightness and automatic brightness settings are greyed out. For other options such as HDX, etc, the brightness can be adjusted but doesn't have much impact on the Netflix brightness. The problem shows up mostly in night scenes where details are simply black or nearly so.

Those are toggle switches OFF (grey) / ON (green)

Make some changes. Experiment a bit to suit your needs...

"Digital Cinema option"... ? what is this third party—try bypassing if it is third party or change the settings if you have more options there.

I can not read that language and I can not copy & paste it either to drill down further.

MacBook Pro Display too dark for movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.